Combo USB hub

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tsl90, Aug 4, 2007.

1. tsl90 macrumors member

Love my new 15"MBP. 2 USB ports is an issue for me. I want to get a hub so I can plug one thing in and have access to all I'll need and still have a port I can put my thumb drive in if needed. I also need a card reader. I'm thinking of this:

http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/usb-firewire-devices/m/6464560/

I would potentially have my ipod nano, printer, PPC, and ext HD plugged into the hub pretty much all the time. I'm wondering what the implications of frequently (1-2X / day) plugging/unplugging this hub would be. Seems like exposing the computer to all that new hardware at once over and over is asking for trouble. I know it would have given my old Dell fits.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

TL

2. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

looks fine.. make sure it's powered (i didnt check). i bought a d-link 7 port hub with no card reader and i dont see any problems. i dont think macs deal with usb devices the same way pc's do... if you do unplug it ever, make sure you unmount your hard drive and ipod, etc.

3. tsl90 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Yeah, it's powered.

Sounds like I need to eject each peripheral before I unplug - is that correct?

A hub where each port is switched would be perfect. I could have everything plugged in and only turn on the ports as I need them with a simple switch. It's not common that I need to connect to my PPC or even my HD, or ipod. Anyone ever heard of a hub with switched ports? I couldn't find one on line.

Thanks

TL

4. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

would it really be an issue? i just turn off my printer and undock my ipod when i'm not using them

and if you arent using certain things all the time and want them effectively switched off from your macbook, why get a hub at all? :confused:

5. tsl90 thread starter macrumors member

A valid question.

One reason is convenience. I don't often need more than a couple of the peripherals plugged in, but plugging and unplugging is a hassle at times. The other is primarily so my iPod will have power to charge the battery even when it's not plugged into the computer.

TL

6. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I got quite a nice powered hub for just £399.

Two USB ports plus two FW800 ports too! Nice!

:)

SL

7. tsl90 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, this is a tempting solution, but a bit out of my budget right now.

:)

TL

8. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

And I could have sworn it had FW400 ports. :p

9. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

D'oh!

Actually, you can fit FW800 plugs in there if you push, like, really really really hard. :)

SL

10. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

to be frank i just recommend getting a powered hub, and not worry about switches. i havent noticed any lag, except that sometimes superduper! fails. i'm looking in to that one though.

11. Modjo macrumors member

Someone is gonna take this serious! :D
    He'll do a Google search for something like "FW400 to 800 conversion", end up here and start pushing really really really hard :)