Comcast adds a bunch of streaming content. Live TV next?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by mikelegacy, Apr 9, 2011.

1. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Here's to lobbying for LIVE TV from Comcast on my iPad. Heck, if FiOS can do it, and Time Warner can do it, why not Comcast? They are practically the largest Cable provider.

Also, however, the most stingy.

What do you guys think? Think there will be a LIVE TV streaming service from Comcast in the near future?

I can see it now, watching Penguins games at work and on the go. It will be great...

I was gonna get a SlingBox but im holding out now.

2. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Agree totally

I just sent a message on their on-site CS link asking when they were going to offer TV viewing for iPad Xfinity users. I also mentioned as you did that FIOS and Time Warner offer it. If competition works ....

3. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Slingbox or EyeTV HD and you have exactly what you're looking for. The latter even let's you record on your Mac

4. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Yeah, but if I can avoid paying 300+ dollars for a SlingBox when Comcast may release a service that does all of this for FREE then why would I waste my money. I just hope it happens. If it's not true by next Penguin's season come October, I'll be looking toward SlingBox.

Does anyone know if SlingBox has a monthly fee? I looked into it a while back, but I forget.

5. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Reply from Comcast - response to my query

Comcast is working on a number of Xfinity apps. The apps for viewing TV on mobile devices are also in development but there are some technical and especially difficult contractual and intellectual property rights issues that will have to be resolved. You will notice from recent news articles that the content distribution rights for some of the channels and content are under litigation between cable TV companies and content providers. Many of the business and contractual disputes for video content distribution need to be resolved first.

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

No, there isn't a monthly fee, and you can get one for $140 on Amazon now. TWC at least (others too?) only allow for viewing over your home network. Slingbox allows for mobile device viewing over 3G, Wifi, and browser-based viewing on computer from anywhere.

7. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Good to know. I was under the impression that you could watch TV from anywhere with the FiOS app. (or TWC)

8. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

all i want to know is:

Where the HELL is FIOS tv streaming APP??????

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

FIOS I don't know about. TWC you have to be on your home Roadrunner-powered network viewing over WiFi unless you create a VPN setup yourself.

10. Pirahna macrumors newbie

Pirahna

I hope so.