Comcast and switching from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jeffreyk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

I'm going to be getting my first Mac in a week or so (yay!) and had a Comcast High-Speed Cable Modem question as it pertains to my new mac pro. I don't know why I hadn't thought about this until know but I just took for granted I wouldn't possibly encounter a possible problem in regards to switching from PC to Mac and Comcast. I tried getting info on the Comcast site, but no luck.

So here's my question...Is there something different I need to do when I get my Mac Pro set-up with Comcast; or is it just a plug-and-play thing where I'll get connected with my Comcast Cable Modem when I plug it into the modem line?

It's been so long since I had my PC installed that I don't know what extra I had to do to get my modem up and running in the first place with my PC.

Thanks!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

As long as your Mac is set up to generate an IP address through DHCP (which its set to do by default) you should be fine. The only internet connections that require additional setup when going from PC to Mac are PPPoE DSL connections.

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I have Charter cable and it was just as easy as plugging the ethernet cable to the back of my iMac. You should have no problems.