Comcast and Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tmurray87, Nov 30, 2012.

1. tmurray87 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone
    I have a question. Because of Hurricane Sandy, my family and I had to move to a new house, however we are still stuck with comcast. In our old house, we have a comcast modem hooked up to a Time Capsule and it was perfect; almost no issues. However, in our new house, Comcast came and install a modem and router in one, which my mom wanted because she wanted a fax line. I am trying to figure out how to either get the Time Capsule running just so I can back up our MacBooks or to turn that modem and router combo into just a router and have the Time Capsule be our regular router, so we actually have solid wifi in all the rooms. Any help would be amazing! Thanks in advance

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

For my uverse, I take an Ethernet cable from the modem to the input of the time capsule. Our macs and printers connect to the time capsule ports. I use two airport express units to extend the wifi from time capsule.

I leave wifi on at the modem for guests. Only the wife and I use the apple wifi. That may not be what you want to do.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I don't know if you can disable wifi on the comcast router, but you can figure that out.

Anyway, the easiest thing to do would be to set the Time Machine to extend the network (Bridge mode). It will not be a problem if there are two separate wifi devices. Just set them to two different channels...the clearest available ones in your location.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just go to this screen in Airport Utility and set the Time Capsule to bridge mode. You may need to also reboot the cable modem for it to be recognized by the Time Capsule.

[​IMG]

5. tmurray87 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you both so much! Got it to work by just making into bridge mode. Once I get a new airport express, I'll extend the network