Comcast boosts internet speeds - 50Mbps

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Prof., Apr 2, 2008.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Comcast boosts Internet speeds. Speeds up to 50Mbps. Download a HD, 4GB movie in 10 minutes!:eek:

Life in the fast lane:D

Story

ModNote™: Threads have been merged. Prof. was first, but LEStudios had a more informative title. ;) --mkrishnan

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Meanwhile both major ISPs in Canada just imposed an arbitrary 60gb bandwidth cap and are engaging in traffic shaping.

*shakes fist mightily*

3. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Meanwhile, Comcast is still traffic shaping.

They could be up to 100Mbps, and I still wouldn't think of paying for it until they have completely stopped traffic shaping.

4. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Whats traffic shaping?

Cool speeds though, now to get that in the UK...

5. LEStudios macrumors 6502

LEStudios

Comcast - 50 Mbps by 2010

ModNote™: OP of merged thread. If this is a quote, please edit this post to attribute a source. Thanks! --mkrishnan

The Twin Cities are the lucky guinea pigs for Comcast's new high-speed internet

Verizon's FiOS fiber broadband connection is currently the only option for United States Internet surfers to wander about the world wide web while downloading content at up to 50 Mbps and uploading data at up to 20 Mbps. However, Verizon's FiOS service is limited to a few areas at this time, even though roll-out is being performed slowly but surely.

Recently, Comcast also announced plans to increase the maximum bandwidth of its broadband service to 50 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload bandwidth to compete with Verizon.

Currently, Comcast is running its broadband service aalong the DOCSIS 2.0 protocol, or the second generation of the Data Over Cable Service Interface Specifications. This protocol tops out with a maximum downstream bandwidth of 42.88 Mbps while the maximum upstream bandwidth tops out at 30.72 Mbps.

For Comcast to increase its bandwidth, it will have to begin using DOCSIS 3.0 compliant hardware. The initial DOCSIS 3.0 specs will utilize four channels over cable; which allows the compatible hardware to serve twice the amount of data per second than DOCSIS 2.0's dual channel design.

Through the 4-channel design, DOCSIS 3.0 compliant hardware will allow a maximum of 170 Mbps and 123 Mbps downstream and upstream bandwidth respectively. To achieve this higher bandwidth, Comcast must upgrade its back-end infrastructure to to hardware complaint with DOCSIS 3.0 and must also provide upgrades to customers' leased modems or offer new hardware that is capable of supporting DOCSIS 3.0.

The high-bandwidth options from Comcast are in trial in Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota but Comcast states it will begin mass rollout once the design has been finalized and ready for use over its nationwide infrastructure, which Comcast's president of marketing and product development states may be by 2010.

Meanwhile, Verizon has brought its fiber-based broadband connection to a number of markets in the U.S. If Comcast goes through with these speed increases, we may hopefully see some long-awaited price wars in the broadband industry.

Pricing for the 50/20 Mbps download/upload package is stated around $150 and is only planned for the residential market. Business owners may have the option for a higher-bandwidth package in the future, however, no pricing information has been made available at this time.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

VirginMedia are currently trailing 50Mbps services in the UK and looking to go to 100Mbps. Price for 50Mbps is expected to be £47.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'm living with 24mb internet (I actually get ~13) and running two Macs and Xbox Live I think the bottleneck is no longer my download speed but the speed at which websites can be served up to me. 50mb right now is overkill, and I think it would be better if they got everyone else up to 15mb at least. The internet is mostly built for 3mb broadband maximum.

8. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

I live in a FIOS neighborhood...but frankly they are offering the same speeds as cable for the same price...if you want the really fast speeds they are offering it's very expensive. So I really don't think there's any advantage to switching to fiber optic until prices are competitive or you're a rich person who can afford to pay for the very fast speeds, because the more affordable speeds they are offering are identical to cable for the same price.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, that is too rich for my blood. I really don't need it enough to justify the $100 more a month than what I already pay.

10. LEStudios macrumors 6502

LEStudios

I got Comcast and got the Premium Internet that's 8-Mbps downloads with 2-Mbps uploads and the 16-Mbps Speed Boost. This is $80 a month for this by itself. For me to pay $160 for 50-Mbps downloads with 5-Mbps uploads is ridiculous. :mad:

11. LEStudios macrumors 6502

LEStudios

Yep, size does matter! :D

12. monkeytap macrumors regular

well I've got comcast scheduled to install it on tuesday....

despite the high price tag I'm really interested and am hoping I can find a group of housemates to split the bill with me. I currently have comcast's highest offering 'performance plus' with HD digital cable but I could just cancel the cable and keep the bill relatively the same. I will be downloading TV shows and music, not HD movies (4 gb 'HD' movie=a joke). I will probably end up rescheduling/canceling on monday but in the off chance I do decide $150/month is worth it than I am literally first in line

saying im a little worried about the throttling would be an understatement, but not gonna lie...I want it.....

bad...... :mad:

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

We already have 24Mbps internet access in the UK and there are no real bandwidth limits imposed. Looking to switch over myself when this contract with BT is finished.

14. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Traffic Shaping thx google/wikipedia ..

15. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I'm thinking it will be toward the tail end of the rollout here but I will be among the first to sign up when its here.

16. monkeytap macrumors regular

at $150/month? im still debating..

17. monkeytap macrumors regular

comcast told me ~ 30 people have it so far.

I really want to find out the "specifics"

been searching for any early reports/user reviews but no success. I'll try AVS

18. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

hmmmm and with Cableone I have 3mps and 5mps costs 53.00 a month??? What gives with that????????

19. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

$150 a month is ridiculous. It costs £22 a month ($44) for unlimited 24Mbit broadband in the UK. Why is it so expensive in the US? Apparently Canada is even worse for broadband pricing. At least Europe is better for some things :).

20. monkeytap macrumors regular

mostly due to the fact european countries are comparable to the size of our states (a lot more ground to cover for a lot less people) the infrastructure is much more costly/difficult to implement and less rewarding for the big companies to actually follow through.

they charge so much bc there is no competition... we should see other similar offerings popping up in the US this year which will cause prices to drop....comcast has good customer support IMO, highly debated, and I have been able to get discounts on my bill just by calling to complain or threaten to cancel. I can't imagine they would want a disgruntled customer with such a highly publicized service

.....europe is better for many, many other things as well :(