Comcast cable internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bleufire, Jun 12, 2007.

1. bleufire macrumors member

I am looking into getting my own internet connection so i don't have to screw with the wireless deal anymore. (I am on my landlords internet connection wirelessly, with permission) I want to know which scenario would serve me best, i live in a small place...

A: Linksys Gateway- the router/modem in one. I can wire to 3 - 4 devices. Nothing else needed. How do these work anyways?

B: Apple Airport Extreme- If i did this, would it be wise for me to invest in my own modem or is the one that comcast provide going to be sufficient enough to help me?

C: Just stick with the basic linksys gear and comcast modem.

I want to have a wireless feature around for laptops. Otherwise the rest would be hardwired. (360, 1 PC, Mini, Future iMac whenever they decide to update them)

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I'd recommend the Airport Extreme but only because I like them so much myself and the 3 I have (in 2 locations) work great and require little if any sorting out. It provides a great network if you have mainly Apple gear as the integration is right there.

I don't know anything about the other 2 devices sorry.

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Do you have to 'rent' the Comcast cable modem? I can't see paying for that. I'd rather have my own for future use.

I have an Airport Express that has been clicking along for nearly three years now. I print wirelessly, as well as listen to iTunes wirelessly.

4. slothrob macrumors 6502

Circuit City has a deal where you get a free cable modem if you sign up for Comcast internet at the store. Otherwise you'll have a rental fee from Comcast.

5. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Rented modems have always worked fine for me from Comcast, and if it breaks, you get a new one and don't pay anything more. However, at $5 a month, you've more than paid for your own after a year. I bought one from Circuit City back in 2001, and its still working now *knocks on wood*. One thing I have noticed with Comcast, though, is that if you do own your own modem, watch your bill, because they've randomly started charging me for a rented modem in the past more than once.

I use a Motorola modem and a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, and they both work extremely well. If you're just wanting a cheap, inexpensive solution for wireless, the WRT54G would probably do you well for your current devices. The Airport Extreme would give you wireless N, but from what you've said, I would assume you don't have any N compatible products and it may just be a waste of money for you now (though once you buy an iMac, you may want it)

6. bleufire thread starter macrumors member

Would N be faster than wired? (just a question, not really needing THAT much speed:D

7. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Not from what I understand. If you have gigabit ethernet than for now, that's probably the fastest option. The WRT54G does NOT support gigabit ethernet, nor does the Airport Extreme. For that matter, the old Minis probably only have 10/100 ethernet. N will give you good speeds compared to G over your LAN, but not neccessarily faster internet download speeds either (though many people debate that point too).

The general rule of thumb is to go wired over wireless for speed. It'll almost always be a better, faster, more reliable solution.

8. banjomamo macrumors regular

Also bear in mind that the speeds advertised are generally about double what you get in the real world. Any wireless G network will let you surf the net at the fastest speed your ISP will provide - even if you are sharing it with another person.

I have an older Airport Extreme in my house and I can stream a movie to my AppleTV and surf the web at the same time on my laptop and I cant see any real drop off in speed. The newer Airport is about twice as fast I think.

9. doctor newb macrumors newbie

my opinion is hardwire the imac and mini also get last years airport for cheap off ebay or some other website. also I would Definately buy your own modem if you plan on keeping comcast for more than a year. And if you plan on expanding your network get a ethernet hubb to add more ports.

10. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I rent the Comcast modem. I'm nomadic, so it makes sense for me and Comcast charges me $3/month, which isn't bad.

If you live in a small place and are interested in saving money, you could also get the airport express, significantly cheaper than the extreme and it comes with the ease of :apple: