Comcast capping internet data

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AllergyDoc, Oct 6, 2016.

1. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Just got an email from Comcast announcing they're capping our data now:

IMG_1136.jpg

We use about 130GB/month, so it shouldn't affect us.

Unless they lower the allowed amount.

2. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

That sucks. I have Verizon FiOS and was thinking of switching to Comcast but I don't know if it will be a good idea. Between wife, me and the kids we use about 800GB a month right now.

3. AllergyDoc thread starter macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

$10 for each 50GB overage is brutal. We only pay $87/mo for cable and 150 mb internet (for 2 years).

4. Zenithal macrumors 68040

My current ISP allows 500 GB of data month, but they don't track it and do not place any caps. However, if you routinely abuse your service, they will send you a warning. You can call in and have them put a note on your account that you'll be using excessive data for a while for whatever legitimate reason and they're happy to oblige.

Despite their constant wire cuts, they're a decent ISP. 1 TB is a large amount and I can't imagine many households hitting that limit for the time being.

5. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

It used to be the additional $10 for each 50GB over 350. I was glad to see it bumped to 1 TB, but I can't use any of the good words I want on the forum to describe Comcast.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well if you want to feel better about it I just moved to rural Alaska and my options for Internet start a 15GB cap for $75 a month and the top option is a 100GB cap for $315 a month. And if you go over you get charged by the MB. I'm currently just using cellular data...

7. AllergyDoc thread starter macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yeah though there is apparently a new undersea fiber optic cable that will be coming online in the spring so hopefully those prices come down and the caps go up in a few months. But other than the internet prices I'm loving it out here.

9. AllergyDoc thread starter macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Our neighbors have lived in Alaska for many years. The woman is retired and I think the man is ready to retire, fir the second time. They're the only people I know who winter in Utah. :D

10. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I got the email for this Thursday night. Last month, I was downloading a lot of shows from the iTunes store to keep on an external drive. Comcast shows that I used 1556GB that month. It looks like they charged me $20 extra for that month because my bio was $20 higher then it normally is and looking at my bill, I couldn't tell what the extra $20 was for.

I used to have Century link and rarely went over 1TB. They had a soft 1TB limit and only enforced it if I went over several months in a row which I only did three months out of several years. I switched to Comcast a year ago because my CenturyLink service went down in August a year ago. They could not figure out what was wrong so I switched to Comcast.

ITB isn't so bad. I've only gone over that amount once in this past year.

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

To me people want HD TV shows streaming and don't think enough of their ISP data cap fees!

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem will be when 4K streaming becomes the norm.

13. AllergyDoc thread starter macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

This seems to be the norm for ya'll, having your internet capped, but it's my first. Good thing there's only two of us here.