Comcast data limits now imposed

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by macdragonfl, Sep 1, 2015.

1. macdragonfl macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

I received a email from Comcast Xfinity stating that data limits of 300 gb would start and if I wanted unlimited it would be $30.00 more per month. This will start on October 1. I'm in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale market. I'm sure it has to do with New Apple TV and service.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

At the end of the year Time Warner will increase the speeds for all subscribers. The people on the 10/15 tier will get 50 and those paying for 50 will get 300. This is to compete with Google fiber in my area; however, I think we'll see data limits shortly thereafter. No way TW is upgrading us for free, we will pay a price. Comcast has historically been the bigger douches of them all. I'd look at all alternatives if you have them.

3. IrrationalFanboy macrumors newbie

IrrationalFanboy

In the same market as OP, not enthused about paying those thieves Commiecast any more.

4. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It's just one of the first. Give it a few years and everyone will have data caps :(.

5. macdragonfl thread starter macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

I do not think its coincidence as a extra thirty dollars would make Apple's TV service about same price as tv package from Xfinity

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Comcast near me has always had data caps. You pay extra if you consistently go over the limit (I think for my area its 250gb, buts its been a while since I checked). This is probably the case in lots of other places too.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

What you're calling a rapacious corporate entity communist?

LOL

8. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

The only thing I question is it's relation to Apple TV. I've been in Comcast's "test market" for the past year. My highest overage in that time is $30 in one month. Too bad you can't find out what the limit is on each of their data plans.

9. IrrationalFanboy macrumors newbie

IrrationalFanboy

or it just a nickname I've been calling them for forever, but what ever floats your boat bro

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Right....as a pejorative.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Wonder if the robocall I got today is about this....

12. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Just don't pay any extra. Change provider if needed.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you realize there is often just one provider in an area no?

14. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Even private businesses aren't immune to the effects of natural monopoly.
    Comcast basically volunteers to give you more service or less cost.
    "Yeah, let's not do that today..."

15. tdale macrumors 65816

You still have data caps? NZ telcos have moved to unlimited, with small plans for a small cost saving. My telco, where I work has 40GB, 80GB and Unlimited. No traffic management or shaping. Naked plans are popular also. Broadband data is now ubiquitous.

16. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Not in the Miami Ft Lauderdale area where the OP is.
    Even there are markets where you have very few choices the companies like comcast get away with it because there is people willing to keep them in business.

17. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

True, but unless you live in an area wired for fibre our internet is far, far slower than in the US.

18. tdale macrumors 65816

Not true. US internet isn't great, I base this on threads on tech forums. Given that the vast majority of US users access content within their borders, that makes it worse.

19. garya73, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015

garya73 macrumors 6502

Our 105 plan just got bumped to 150. Of course "at no additional charge." I am getting almost 180 with Power Boost.

We have Fios in our neighborhood and in some other areas in the county I live in, but Verizon is more concerned with wireless. No other competition.

No data caps that I know of. Is there a place on the Comcast website to see how much data you've used? Or is there a program that can track it? I have a Netgear router, and it supports apps (though there are very few of them).

Kinda annoyed that the newer cable modems (TC8717) have ac technology while ours has n (TC8305c). If I knew they were going to come out with ac modems I would have waited on buying the router. Oh well.

The newer modems also support MoCA (necessary for X1). But they still don't come with batteries.

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

Virgin in the UK tried to impose data caps, and then revoked them.

They've got them on uploads but not downloads now.

21. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    xfinity.com
    "Sign In" (upper right)
    After signing in, "My Account" (upper left)
    "My Services"
    "Xfinity Internet"
    right margin "Performance" box shows usage month-to-date or click "View data usage details" in that same box and use a drop down menu to see what you used in the last few months. There's also an option to see last 3 months that can display a usage chart like this...

[​IMG]

22. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

How much do you pay for it?
    I have comcast 125Mbps down and 25Mbps up and I pay $70 per month.

My approach had been to use a modem I own Motorola DOCSYS 3.0 (pay no rental fees) and with an Apple AirPort Extreme to cover the house wirelessly so when the AC came out I updated to it.

23. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yeah, wireless gets updated several times more often than cable standards. Separate box, separate upgrades, less money long term. Plus an app on your phone to admin the second box!

24. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well the streaming video devices will take a large hit at this news! 4K be damned! :eek:

25. JackieInCo macrumors 601

If these limits ever happen in Denver, I may just go back to CenturyLink. I downloaded 1TB in one month before I ever got a warning from them and it was the first warning I ever got in six years. This month using Comcast, I am up to 427GB. I will also have no problem in paying for unlimited if it comes down to it.

The only reason I cancelled CenturyLink was because my service went down for a week and they needed to come out to fix it. I was't home so it remained broken. I activated Comcast internet that night.