Comcast Digital But No Wall Outlets

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iOrlando, Apr 28, 2011.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

Ok here's my problem:

I have comcast cable and comcast is requiring a switch to digital, which involves connecting each TV to a digital box or a digital converter. Sounds easy enough.

Problem is I don't have cable wall outlets. Instead, I have one cable wire literally coming from my roof into my living room, which is then connected to a splitter and supplying cable for 2 TVs. (splitter is set up so I have my cable from roof and then two new cable cords out to the two TVs).

Apparently, comcast is saying I cant get my digital converter boxes to work because they need a cable wall outlet and not just my existing cable cord from splitter.

1) Any way of solving this without installing cable wall outlets?
    2) Is the problem the splitter?
    3) What is difference between just having a 60 foot cable cord supply the converter box vs. using a 3 foot cable cord connected to a wall outlet.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You don't need a cable wall outlet. Whoever did your install did a retrofit. There is no difference between the cable from a wall outlet and from, well, a cable. However, if you split the signal too many ways, you lose signal strength. Most cable companies will put an inline amplifier/splitter on the exterior of a house. Perhaps that is what they are hung up on at Comcast.

3. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

if thats the case, then that must mean I have 2 splitters: one on the outside, and one on in the inside. So you think it's the lack of signal strength would be the issue.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I have Time Warner Cable and digital cable. I was wanting to move my router, modem, and the associated mess to my home office instead of the bedroom. Trick is that I'm not allowed to install new jacks in my building. I tried a splitter between my cable box and modem, but the signal was too attenuated for a good digital signal.

Comcast is probably just trying to avoid that problem. It might work, but when I did it my Roadrunner speed crawled until I switched it back.

5. handsome pete macrumors 68000

There's no reason you should have to have a wall outlet. Whoever you're speaking to at Comcast doesn't know what they're talking about.

Sometimes you'll degrade the signal if you use a cheap splitter or crappy cable, but you can find decent solutions at Home Depot, Radio Shack, etc. In fact, the Comcast techs keep spare splitters in their trucks and should offer you one. That has been my experience with them at least.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Can you go to a Comcast location near you, pick up the digital boxes you need, then go to Home Deopt and pickup a digital splitter to replace your analog splitter (they work on different frequencies) and keep your setup the same to see if it works? If it does, great, if it doesn't call Comcast and have them do what they say they need to do?.

Lethal

7. MacNut, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The installer is full of it, the splitters will work fine as long as you have enough gain.

If you are only splitting it twice you have more than enough power.

8. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Comcast hates splitters and any other form of DIY. They took my splitter apart and added a seperate cable outlet when they installed the digital box in '95.

Dale

9. ComanWilson macrumors newbie

I'm a Comcast employee. If your going to use so many adapters off one line you will need some form of amp. They will sell them to you, but you can find them online much cheaper.

10. MacNut, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

2 TVs is not a lot and won't cause signal degradation. It is most likely an issue on the pole.

This is bull as well, once the line enters the house you can split is as many times as you want as long as you don't lose signal power. Anything over 4 splits and you will need an amp.

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Wow this makes me appreciate being a cablevision customer. None of this should be your problem. If you need any of this stuff done cablevision comes to your house and does it for free.

12. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

If you have a Comcast office in your area, go down there, and request the 2 digital converters. Tell them you want the self install kit and don't want a tech coming to your house. They should not question this.

Bring the boxes back to your residence. Hook them up just like you would if the cable was coming from the wall outlet. The splitter should be of little consequence. Once they are hooked up, all you have to do is call Comcast and let them know the serial number, they will send a pulse to the box, and you'll be all set.

If they cannot get a pulse to the box, it becomes their problem, and they are obligated to fix it by sending a tech out to your house to make the necessary repairs. If it is a problem with the signal from the pole, they can check that and (assuming it is of low quality) will amp it up for you.

13. gameface macrumors 6502

My comcast digital cable is run through about 10 splitters just to make it top my TV. I live in an old concrete building in the city. Someones trying to fleece you.