Comcast Internet, get wireless from them?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shivetya, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

I am probably switching to Comcast Cable Internet soon. My DSL has been **** for the last four to five weeks and hasn't gotten better.

Should I obtain a wireless capable modem from Comcast or get some off the shelf modem and pair it with it with Apple's wireless? Or just get some off the shelf brand to do both?

My wireless clients are a , Touch, iMac (white generation - think 7600gt type), and a MBP 2.4 (next to last gen)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My Comcast is down again, so I am not the best to ask at the moment :mad:

You can use Comcast's modem and pair your own router
    I prefer to use Apple products myself, but any new router will probably be fine

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

4. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I hate Comcast with a passion TV-wise but their internet was solid for me in the last year.

Rarely went down

5. harodude macrumors regular

I have had Comcast internet since the good ole 3/256 down/up days...

They have always treated us well, and downtime is not common

Comcast will provide the modem if you please, but at a $3.50/month rental fee...

Currently, I have iMac's and Macbook Pro's throughout the home, which are all running off of a Dlink wireless router (DIR-655). Can be bought from Costco for roughly $100... This router would really only be necessary if you were going to transfer data between machines and wanted the 'N' speeds (MBP should have N enabled)...

Otherwise, stainlessliquid found a great deal, and product for just regular browsing capabilities!

Good luck!