Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jh215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Hey Guys,

My internet is really slow. I can't figure out why. I'm using comcast if it matters. Please help me, I'll take any suggestions? Could this be throttling from using netflix? I don't torrent or download much but my speed sucks horribly. I couldn't even update MS Office without it timing out.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Hey Guys,

My internet is really slow. I can't figure out why. I'm using comcast if it matters. Please help me, I'll take any suggestions? Could this be throttling from using netflix? I don't torrent or download much but my speed sucks horribly. I couldn't even update MS Office without it timing out.

How long has it been slow? They were working on the lines last week in my area (apparently) and I had a very iffy connection for two days. Then...it was fine.

Two weeks prior their techs had been out here and did some wiring work on my house that had things running great. The slowdown really had me puzzled.

I guess you've tried restarting or resetting your modem. Did you call them...they'll do a minor test while you're on the phone?

They don't do anything to let customers know about possible slowdowns due to their own maintenance.

jh215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
How long has it been slow? They were working on the lines last week in my area (apparently) and I had a very iffy connection for two days. Then...it was fine.

Two weeks prior their techs had been out here and did some wiring work on my house that had things running great. The slowdown really had me puzzled.

I guess you've tried restarting or resetting your modem. Did you call them...they'll do a minor test while you're on the phone?

They don't do anything to let customers know about possible slowdowns due to their own maintenance.

They were just here last week to work on our phone service but the internet was working until today, well...its always spotty but today its just been extremely slow and unresponsive. Maybe they're doing work like you say, I just get concerned because I have a brand new iMac and everything runs perfectly except for the internet.

matbook101

macrumors 6502
They were just here last week to work on our phone service but the internet was working until today, well...its always spotty but today its just been extremely slow and unresponsive. Maybe they're doing work like you say, I just get concerned because I have a brand new iMac and everything runs perfectly except for the internet.

Well it could alway be a faulty wifi receiver.

jh215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Well it could alway be a faulty wifi receiver.

I apologize for sounding like a noob here but how would I know? Also, could the modem be the problem? I unplugged the modem and replugged minutes later and I have the same issue. This is not a constant issue but it was a huge problem in the past day and still is now.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Then find a bill and find the phone number for your Comcast tech support and ask them to check the ping times to your ISP modem. See if then see a slow down on that link.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Pull up the terminal app (in the Utilities folder) and type:

ping comcast.net

You can control c out of it when you've seen enough.

You can also try traceroute http://www.comcast.net

If possible you should try to eliminate your wireless router. Plug your cable modem directly into your computer via the ethernet cable.

If you have another computer in the house you can also try it. What you are trying to do here is simplify and eliminate.

If none of the above give you any info you should call comcast and let them know your problem.

I'm also on comcast and here is a sample of my ping results:
There should be no data errors

ping http://www.comcast.net
PING a1526.g.akamai.net (xx.xx.xx.xx): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from xx.xx.xx.xx: icmp_seq=0 ttl=59 time=18.298 ms
64 bytes from xx.xx.xx.xx: icmp_seq=1 ttl=59 time=43.010 ms
64 bytes from xx.xx.xx.xx: icmp_seq=2 ttl=59 time=17.662 ms
64 bytes from xx.xx.xx.xx: icmp_seq=3 ttl=59 time=15.105 ms
64 bytes from xx.xx.xx.xx: icmp_seq=4 ttl=59 time=15.454 ms

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.