Comcast > MoCA > Time Capsule + TiVo

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PaperQueen, Nov 1, 2012.

1. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

Did a few searches, but didn't find what I'm looking for so.... I'm here to pick your collective brains. :)

Situation:
    Two story house, lots of interior brick, hell on a wifi network. My internet/cable are Comcast (ugh); the network equipment is in a basement storage room with a cable outlet. I use my own modem, a Motorola Surfboard SB6120.

Current set up:
    In the storage room, wall > coax > modem > ethernet to Time Capsule (provides wifi)
    ...Also, Time Capsule > ethernet to Ooma phone base
    Upstairs, two Airport Extremes to extend network (connecting via wifi)

Problem:
    So much stuff is on the wifi, it's dropping and/or crawling. I know part of the problem is that I'm fighting all this brick with two Extremes running off wifi only. As for hardware on the wifi, well...two TiVos (with a third on the way), three computers (two of which backup wirelessly to Time Capsule...plus all three backup wirelessly to CrashPlan), two iPads, an iPod, and Apple TV.

The goal:
    To pull the three TiVos off wifi entirely (since they chatter so much) while pumping up the wifi strength and stability throughout the house.

What I want to try...if it will work:
    MoCA. My understanding is that there need to be four adapter boxes--
    1. (Basement, storage) Cable outlet > MoCA > modem > Time Capsule
    2. (Upstairs) Cable outlet > MoCA > Airport Extreme > ethernet to TiVo #1
    3. (Upstairs) Cable outlet > MoCA > ethernet to TiVo #2
    4. (Basement, office) Cable outlet > MoCA > ethernet to TiVo #3

And for good measure, a MoCA PoE filter in the garage, before the splitters and booster.

My questions:
    1. Does this set up make sense?

2. How will the TiVos locate each other? Since they won't be in a common wifi network any more, is there a new wired network name, or will they simply show up on each other's programs list screen like magic?

3. Is there any hiccup in connecting the Airport Extreme between the MoCA adapter and a TiVo?

All these years, and I can't for the life of me recall how wired setups work. Go figure. :eek:

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

2. PaperQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

3. rfrankl macrumors 6502

How did this ever work out for you?

I just switched from DSL to cable internet (wonder why I didn't sooner seeing the speeds I am getting for the same price) because the Tivo mini will only work with cable internet.

I love Tivo, but mainly just watch in my tv room, occaissionally in the bedroom but I couldn't justify paying for an extra box and contract so dealt with limited channels upstairs. Well with that mini, it seemed like everything I wanted for cheap, and I could buy a lifetime contract instead of $6 per month.

I hooked the cable internet up last night. Bought a Motorola SB6141 modem so I wouldn't have to rent for $7 per month. Went pretty smoothy. From the cable wall to the modem, ethernet to Time Capsule, and ethernet to iMac.

Today, I hooked up the Tivo mini. Put the MoCA adapter before the cable modem as far as coaxial goes. Also, plugged the ethernet from the MoCA into an open port on the Time Capsule per the instructions. I have to say I am impressed. This MoCA adapter now makes every cable jack a high speed point. I now get Tivo call-in connection straight through the coaxial instead of having to use the wireless USB adapter which was only G speeds.

I probably didn't have to since my house isn't very old and I know all the cables are good quality, but I still put in the POE filter. Everything working great...internet much faster, Tivo in bedroom, wife happy LOL.

4. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Depending on what type tivo you have, many have built in MoCA adapters. All I have is one MoCA adapter inline before my cable modem (through coax connection) with a CAT5 going from adapter to the router. My Premiefe 4 and 2 Minis have built in MoCA so they are just connected to coax and get a decent network speed (200 Mbps).

A POE filter is a must. It will increase your speeds and keep your network from interfering with your neighbors.

Check out tivocommunity.com. Their forums have a lot of MoCA network information.

I purchased my POE filter and adapter directly from tivo's website. Actiontec will have v2.0 support later this year but not sure when tivo will support it.

5. rfrankl macrumors 6502

Sounds like we have similar setups. I just have the one MoCa adapter inline before the cable modem. I have a Tivo Premier 4 (which you at least need to work with the mini) and the new mini both directly hooked to the cable outlets. Before the cable internet and single MoCA adapter I hooked up in my computer room, the main Tivo was getting its feed by the wireless adapter. Much faster now. I can see the mini being a big seller for people who just didn't want to pay for a full extra box/contract for a room they didn't use full-time. With the 4 tuners, I don't mind losing 1 to the mini.

6. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

I have the 4 tuner tivo elite.... It has built in moca... Incidentally you can then use the ethernet port on the TiVo to give wired LAN to another device, my atv3 gets its Internet from the TiVo... In my other room a moca adapter passthrough to cable modem and also has wired LAN to my AEBS... I dig it, much better throughput than powerline in my old Victorian home... Make sure to get a point of entry filter too.

7. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I didn't think of using a wired LAN from the Tivo to an ATV3. I have one 2 feet away from my Tivo. My question is, will it be noticeably faster than having my ATV3 currently connected via wireless to my current generation Time Capsule?

Thanks.

8. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

Um, I ran an Ethernet cable from TiVo to Mac and it got very solid 11.4MB/s... (TiVo is 100mbps LAN, so is atv3, not gig e) my 5ghz on aebs can def be faster but not as consistent, so I prefer it to just hold that transfer rate always than fluctuate

9. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

Um, I ran an Ethernet cable from TiVo to Mac and it got very solid 11.4MB/s... (TiVo is 100mbps LAN, so is atv3, not gig e) my 5ghz on aebs can def be faster but not as consistent, so I prefer it to just hold that transfer rate always than fluctuate..
    Edit: plus I just like keeping my streamed media off wifi, then it doesn't compete with resources of other devices in house (some of which run on 5ghz too)

10. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I took your advice and since my AppleTV is 2 ft away from my Tivo that is now connected via MoCA, I hooked them up together via ethernet. It's amazing how easy everything talks to each other nowadays. I figured even though I have wireless N about 40 feet away, let me get the consistency of being hardwired and less potential interference when streaming from the other wireless iOS devices in the house.

What I am curious about is many times when I switch to the tv input that my AppleTV is on, it won't find my library even though iTunes is open. If I close iTunes and reopen it, it's fine. I am curious if I will have that problem anymore with it being hardwired.

11. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

Mmm, I have that problem every once and awhile, but I just go back to my library again on the atv3 (no reopening of iTunes) and it finds it on the second try. It started happening after a firmware update for the atv an iTunes update I think... think it's just an occasional glitch...