Comcast - Terrible, Slow Internet. Options?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JasonR, May 5, 2012.

1. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I didn't know where to post this, but feel free to move it if necessary.

Long story short, I moved, got Comcast Cable Internet (Speeds of up to 29 mbps). First few days were fine, speeds were good (about 20-25 mbps). However, I have been experiencing MASSIVE slow downs, to the tune of 1 mbps or less. You can imagine how frustrating that is. I know it isn't my router or PC as both work fine on other connections. I have an Airport Extreme Router, FYI.

My other option is to get DSL, but the max speed offered is about 6 mbps, and I know you never actually get the max speeds they claim.

The other option is Verizon 4G/LTE comes in pretty good hear from the little bit I've tested it. I'm grandfathered into unlimited on my iPhone. I have thought about the idea of getting a Mifi or iPad 3 and using it as my home internet connection with my unlimited data plan. The only problem is, I still need a network...and not sure the Mifi can interface with the airport express somehow. I know the iPad can't.

So...basically I'm asking for advice. What the hell do I do? I can't stand how slow Comcast/Xfinity Internet can be.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sounds like you should talk to Comcast first.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. barredfreak macrumors 6502

You should consider using Verizon's fibre optic broadband services. They provide blazing fast Internet with their fibre optic cables.

5. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I don't think Verizon's Fiber is available here.

What's even weirder is that my Macs connection seems fine but my iPhone slows way down. Both are on wifi.

However, Ethernet devices slow way down sometimes as well.

6. Apple951 macrumors newbie

Apple951

7. sgtcasey macrumors newbie

Sometimes Comcast can be a little difficult to admit they have a problem. You do have to keep on them, though. A couple years ago I was getting a lot of latency and decided to keep on Comcast until they fixed it.

I determined I was seeing timeouts/dropped-packets to my gateway and was able to show the Comcast folks this was the case. They sent someone out who, of course, didn't find any problems. On and one we went for a week or so and I got to the point where I finally just asked Comcast to cancel my service and I signed up with Qwest (now CenturyLink) for DSL service. That same day I posted on Twitter about how Comcast this and that and a while later someone from Comcast sent me a message.

I ended up trading messages for a little while and finally they called me and said a tech was on his way to the house right now (it was 9pm). The tech showed up and spent a couple hours re-installing a large cable to the cable box outside (he said was bent too far) and some other work. The next day the problems were gone. I un-canceled my Comcast service and canceled the DSL and I've been happy (again) with Comcast ever since.

In the end the issue turned out to be an overloaded gateway but the fact they fixed the crappy initial install at the street probably helped, too.

Other great sites to get help from Comcast are DSL Reports. They have a forum there which is monitored by actual Comcast people.

Good luck!

Dave

8. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Thanks for the information. I will definitely look into that!!