Comcast turning my modem off?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by diane143, Nov 12, 2013.

1. diane143 macrumors 6502a

Sorry if this is in the wrong area, I can't search to see where other cable modems are located.

Sometime last year I got a letter from Comcast saying my modem (that I own) was nearing EOL and I should replace it for better speeds etc. It still worked so I ignored it, but I'm sure I'm not getting the performance I should be.

A few months ago I got another letter saying not only the above, but that as of November 17, it would stop working. I had tried to do some searching about a week after that but couldn't find anyone talking about it.

Yesterday I realized that that is actually this Sunday and I'll be pretty annoyed if my service stops working. I went out tonight and bought a Netgear DOCIS 3.0 modem.

Before I open up the box, are they serious, they'll really shut down service to my house? I know the modem isn't programmed to stop working on a certain date.

Will I really notice an improvement in speed? My current modem is probably 6-7 years old.

Thanks!
    Diane

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

http://www.dslreports.com usually has decent discussion about cable modems.

The cable company can disable your connection remotely by what they call provisioning. They have a lot of control. Modulation schemes and architectures change over time and its likely that your old modem does not support the updated cable architecture... but I dunno the specifics of your case. Someone here may have a better answer.

3. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

They won't shut down your service, but your modem won't work anymore with the new modulation, so your internet will be down until you replace the modem.

Be prepared for some glitches. When my service provider switched over, I had the new modem in place and provisioned several weeks ahead of time. When the switchover happened (unannounced), my service stopped working. After several days of debugging and finally getting a technician out, he found that they had the wrong filters on the pole mounted distribution point.

4. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Glitches? Comcast? Say it ain't so! LMAO

Thanks guys :)

They never said they were switching to a new service. First it was that I was not receiving best speeds possible, and then that they were just shutting the modem off. Hate them!

Can I switch this over without talking to them? It seems you can in some markets, but last time I got a new modem they had to do something on their end.

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I'm pretty sure you have to talk to comcast so they can update their records on what kind of modem you have and so that they can push the config file to the modem and provision it, usually takes just 5-10 minutes once you get to the right support person. Each ISP usually has its own modem firmware and config files it pushed down to the modem over the cable connection.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I don't have Comcast, but my cable company is my Internet service provider. I rent a company-provided modem. About a year ago, I went though my second technology-driven mandatory modem upgrade. The change meant that I pulled-out the old modem and replaced it with the new one. There were no glitches or disturbances of any kind. I was back on the ’Net in less than one minute after powering-up the new modem.

Generally, you can expect your local consumer electronics retailers to stock modems required by the cable providers in your area. You may have several brands to choose from. However, I am aware of no one who gives a flip which brand cable modem they use.

If you supply your own modem, then you must telephone your provider to inform it of this fact. You may also visit the provider's local office. You must share two pieces of information--your modem's serial number and MAC address. Period.

7. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They just want the MAC address. He blew everything up before getting it set up right.

It was not one iota faster after all was said and done. He ended up offering me an upgraded package at a $20 discount from what I pay now. When this ends in 12 months I'll be paying about what I do now. That is also not much faster than it was, and plugging directly into the modem gets me about 1/2 speed from what they claim.

I did some research on this last night and found other modems can be tweaked a bit, and in some markets nothing can hit the speeds they claim, so I want to research this a bit more.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Three things:
    1. Connect your modem to Comcast's signal. Connect the Ethernet cable from the cable modem to the WAN port of your router. It is not more complicated than that to "set up right."
    2. Faster service is not created by your modem, it is provided by your ISP. The modem only allows you to take advantage of the faster service.
    3. You may expect occasional free service upgrades that dramatically increase your connection speed.

9. TheyCallMeBT macrumors member

So you have to purchase your own modem? Comcast doesn't provide it as long as you have service? I know that some companies make you buy your own DVR equipment. But with a modem-- they should be providing you with a current model without paying for the hardware. That's just not right.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

Cox Cable hasn't been proving cable free modems where I live (VA's largest metro area) in over a decade.

11. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You still have to call them with the MAC address. I have seen posts where people can just plug in, but not here.

TheyCallMeBT - I went to cable internet in the late 90s and modems have always been rented. I rented the first one but when that died I started to buy my own. At $70, it's paid for itself in less than a year and honestly I see no reason to give them more money than they already get.

I have an Airport Express which seems to be a huge bottleneck for speed. If I plug the laptop directly into the cable modem, I got 22mbps download. Through the Airport I just got 6.6mbps which is about the highest it's gone. My service is "up to 50mbps"

Anything I can do to the Airport? It's an 802.11n, on a 2.4GHz channel and transmit rate says 145. Yesterday I tried to set up a different channel, but I'm guessing mine is older than the instructions I found as not only did it not work, but I eliminated it from the network and had to do a complete reset to get it back. I think I bought it in 2009

Thanks!

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

Then you are getting everything they are promising since there is no guarantee.

13. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am aware of how "up to" works. But as I said, there seems to be a bottleneck in the Airport Express, and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do about that.

14. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Is that wireless? I think 6-10MB is about all you can expect from an older express wirelessly, especially in the 2.4 GHz band.

15. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes it's wireless, I think I bought it in 2009 to replace my 2005 one. Can that one be changed to another band? I found instructions to do so, but they weren't exact and didn't work, so I have a feeling what I found was for a newer version.