Comcast ups speed to 4Mbps

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Okay so I got an email from comcast... "Just when you thought the Internet couldn't get any faster,..." So I do the powering down of the modem, even did a reboot just for fun... prior I ran a test on my previous speed which was about 2.5 - 2.5xxMbps now I get somewhere between 2.5xx and 3.5Mbps (depending on what bandwidth speed test I use). :D

Then they go onto saying no extra fee blah blah blah... okay seriously, don't lie to me comcast. If no extra fees then why has my bill gone up consistently each year???

BigDogg

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
TN
I thought Comcast made the claim they were running 100% broadband?
Oh well as long as its faster its fine with me. Is the only thing you have to do is restart your modem to get the added speed benifits? Is this to all Comcast users? :confused: :confused:

Comment

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
BigDogg said:
I thought Comcast made the claim they were running 100% broadband?
Oh well as long as its faster its fine with me. Is the only thing you have to do is restart your modem to get the added speed benifits? Is this to all Comcast users? :confused: :confused:
They have a list of when and where it will happen here:
http://faq.comcast.net/faq/answer.jsp?name=18226&cat=Services&subcategory=1&CM.src=email

If you pay them extra you can get up to 6Mbps... extra = $$$. So far I have not noticed a big difference... going to purchase some songs from iTMS, should see a difference there because they have faster servers.

Just notcied that the upstream has been increased too... 384Kbps vs 256Kbps

Comment

chanoc

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska USA
Saturday I am getting a 1Mbps/256KBps cable modem installed for 40.00 a month. GCI offers up to 4Mbps, yet that costs 200.00 a month.

Xtreme
1.0Mbps/256Kbps
Unlimited computer hook ups
4 email accounts (10MB storage each)
10 MB web space
5 GB data transfer/mo.
E-mail Guard anti-virus/spam filter
Add $39.99 to the Ultimate Package price
Included in the Ultimate Broadband Package

Xtreme Plus
2.0Mbps/256Kbps
20 MB web space
10 GB data transfer/mo.
Add $49.99 to the Ultimate Package price
Add $10.00 to the Ultimate Broadband Package price

Xtreme Gamer
2.0Mbps/384Kbps
20 MB web space
20 GB data transfer/mo.
Priority Phone Technical Support
Add $69.99 to the Ultimate Package price
Add $30.00 to the Ultimate Broadband Package price

Xtreme Home Office
2.0Mbps/384Kbps
4 email accounts (20MB storage each)
50 MB web space
20 GB data transfer/mo.
1 static IP & dial-up account
Domain hosting & use with emailand web services
Add $84.99 to the Ultimate Package price
Add $45.00 to the Ultimate Broadband Package price

Xtreme Power
3.0Mbps/384Kbps
50 MB web space
25 GB data transfer/mo.
E-mail Guard anti-virus Filter
Add $99.99 to the Ultimate Package price
Add $60.00 to the Ultimate Broadband Package price

Xtreme Speed
4.0Mbps/384Kbps
50 MB web space
30 GB data transfer/mo.
Add $149.99 to the Ultimate Package price
Add $110.00 to the Ultimate Broadband Package price

Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
zim said:
Then they go onto saying no extra fee blah blah blah... okay seriously, don't lie to me comcast. If no extra fees then why has my bill gone up consistently each year???
It sounds as though Comcast broadband is just like their Cable service. Like to increase the price yearly no matter what. Competition just doesn't seem to control the delight for profit against service. Earthlink has remained the same for several years now.

Comment

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
wdlove said:
It sounds as though Comcast broadband is just like their Cable service. Like to increase the price yearly no matter what. Competition just doesn't seem to control the delight for profit against service. Earthlink has remained the same for several years now.
The problem is that there is no competition for Comcast. In my area we have comcast but in the next town over they have adelphia.. so you either move or go with another arrangement such as DSL or 56k eek... so comcast can keep increasing without fear. Braodband Cable TV included, should be going down in price not up.. just does not make sense to me.

Comment

SFVCyclone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Pasadena, Ca
SBC Yahoo

I have sbc yahoo and they raised their up speed too recently and it does make a big difference when uploading of course. Kinda odd though that both companies have done it.

Comment

BigDogg

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
TN
I just did the test over at dlsreports (link in post above) and I have a 2577 kbps download and 265 kbps upload. I am using Comcast on my ibook with the wireless airport card. Is it normal for the wireless to be much slower than a straight connection? It seems my Dell desktop is much faster? :confused:
Post the speeds of your connection

Comment

FightTheFuture

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
on BBR my download speed was:

3324906 bps, or 3246 kbps; a 405.8 KB/sec transfer rate.
my upload speed was: 294811 bps, or 287 kbps.

it was considered faster than the "very fast" reading.

it was tested while running nothing but safari on my tibook 667 w/1gig of memory. tibook is connected to my switcher, which also connects my powermac (not running any internet apps), the switcher is connected to my airport extreme router, which sends wi-fi signal to an hp desktop upstairs and my dell laptop (not running any internet apps). and the router is of course connected to the cable modem.

i'm assuming it wouldn't be as fast on a wifi powerbook cause 802.11g connects at 54Mbps compared to a 'wired' 10/100 ethernet connected powerbook. not really sure though.

Comment

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
things seem a bit faster here with the "upgraded" comcast.
The upgrade, i think, is what caused my weird "internet is there but not there" problems....
still, faster internet is worth four days of headaches and stress...oh wait, not for the bit of a boost i got.
oh well.
i guess i can't complain. comcast is still much better than rcn ever was.

Comment

BigDogg

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
TN
I have also recieved the upgrade and do not notice a difference. One website said my dell desktop has a 4 megabits download, but it does not seem to be any faster than before the "update" besides the numbers.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.