Come and meet the twins

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CooperBox, Mar 19, 2017.

1. CooperBox, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

I've been wanting to present these together for well over two years. The time it's taken me to find both.

FPowerDalm1.jpg

I found the FlowerPower about a year ago, but only just had this Dalmation delivered.

G3-Dalm1.jpg

The seller was in Versailles, Paris. Selling off the contents of her elderly mother's house.
    The photo in the ad wasn't clear, and the iMac was announced as a Bondi blue. However there was something strange about it, and I requested more photos. Sure enough it was the much sought-after (by myself) G3 Dalmation. I didn't haggle about the price as it was more than correct, and asked if it could be shipped. The answer was negative, as the lady didn't have the means and/or time to prepare shipping. That was back in Dec, and since then I've been desperately trying to find a courrier without spending any money (professional courrier service would have been more than 10x the price I paid)! The lady said that she had had no other enquiries to purchase, and had I not have made contact the iMac would have been sent to the dumpster.
    Last week I heard that a nearby new friend (from whom I'd purchased a TAM) was driving to Paris and returning 3 days later. I was a little embarrassed to ask him, but he willingly offered to pick up my new 'toy' from Versailles. It was received 2 days ago, and he was duly wined & dined for his efforts.

G3-Dalm2.jpg

G3-Dalm3.jpg

Another pleasant toy, and two re-united 'twins'.

Attached Files:

2. spf2 macrumors regular

spf2

3. CooperBox thread starter macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Thanks.
    The FlowerPower & Dalmatian models are certainly not expensive, the real difficulty is in trying to find them.
    These models had a very short production run, and as I understand it, were only offered for a period of about 5 months. It would be interesting to eventually know how many were manufactured.

4. spf2 macrumors regular

spf2

They are definitely rare here. I have yet to see a dalmatian or flower power in person. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places but I seem to remember these models were quite expensive on the secondary market.

5. RhianB macrumors 6502a

RhianB

6. mhunt407 macrumors newbie

mhunt407

They look great! Very unusual to come across those in the UK from my experience.

7. CooperBox thread starter macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

There's a saying, "You wait hours for a bus, and then two come along together".
    Two days ago I saw an ad for a 'FlowerPower' in good condition and fully functional, just a 30min drive away. The seller is prepared to take 80€ (86USD) and ship if required.
    I'd be tempted to have a flutter, but my little lady would probably throw a fit at the unannounced arrival of triplets!
    If anyone in SW France is yearning for one of these, I could provide details if required.

8. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

Here in southern Italy it is not a saying, it is the reality. :(

9. CooperBox thread starter macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

I can vouch for that. I lived and worked in Varese for a few years (although that's the north).

10. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

In northern Italy public transport is almost 10 times better than in the south LOL
    When us from southern Italy go to the north we always get shocked for how well public transport works there

11. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

very nice! what CPU speeds are these twins :) (specify I wonder if the 600Mhz model is PowerMac2.2 like my 500Mhz FlowerPower or if the 600Mhz is PowerMac4,1/got the 750CX and Rage 128 Ultra graphics regardless of geographical location unlike the others)

12. CooperBox thread starter macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Both ident tags indicate they were assembled in the Czech Republic which I didn't realise.
    The FlowerPower is a 500Mhz and the Dalmation a 600Mhz. When next powered up I'll report back on which PowerMac versions.

13. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Easily the most bizarre computers Apple ever shipped.

14. CooperBox thread starter macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Bizarre - maybe.
    Lovable - Definitely (imho).

FPw-Rear.jpg
    G3-Dalm-rear.jpg

G3 'Togetherness'

G3-Togetherness1.jpg

I just KNEW I shouldn't have left them together.........

G3-Togetherness2a.jpg

15. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

Last pic should be herpes? ahahhahahahahhaha

16. CooperBox thread starter macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

I wouldn't recognise that if I saw it, so I'll take your word for it..........(;-)

17. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Okay, my jealousy level just went through the roof. So well done. My daughter had both of them when she was a child. I so wish I still had all of my Apple Stuff from back then.

18. CooperBox thread starter macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Although scarce, both can still be found with patience - and a little luck.
    Did anyone else spot the two G3 'Clamshell' iBooks tucked away lower left in my photo #4 ;)
    Both are Firewire 466MHz models.

19. z970mp macrumors 65816