Come August - Shocking AT&T Bill

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ubersalad, Jul 21, 2008.

1. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I know there is a lot of theory out there discussing possible ways of exploiting iPhone's subsidized pricing. But the fact of matter is, AT&T doesn't clear out your account the moment you cancel, instead they send you the "last bill" and collect any outstanding fees. So come August or so, when people receive their bill, they may be in for a big shocking bill...

P.S. Anyone else able to figure out exactly what AT&T's term and condition is saying about early cancellation?

2. illutionz macrumors 65816

pay your ETF of $175 and pay any outstanding monthly bills...

What else lol

3. ubersalad thread starter macrumors 6502a

What else is the concern. What if they decide to charge you the retail price or demand you return the equipment?

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Then you pay and return the handset. Contract means a contract.
    If you can't pay, then that's another issue. No excuse not to give the handset back.

5. xerostyles macrumors newbie

I don't know where these assumptions of a "shocking" bill keep coming from. Some people mentioning a penalty or "retail price phone payment."

I have read over the agreements and there is no mention of any "penalty" or "fee" other than a $175 ETF if you choose to cancel your contract after 30 days. (Please alert me to where this information is located if I have missed it.)

Assuming people keep their contracts live for 31 days, no matter if they pawned off their phone to the CEO of ATT, they will incur no other fees than: phone price (199/299 or 399/499) + 1 month fee + activation fees + ETF.

It is in the contract! ATT can NOT legally charge you anything else! Not a handset charge, nothing.

If you cancel within 30 days, which is just stupid because you can easily swap sims into the phone/sell it while leaving your contract live for the remaining days, then this obviously doesn't apply.

6. mkoesel macrumors regular

Out of curiousity, what does the contract say you owe for cancelations within the 30 days? I have no copy of the contract because Apple said it would be mailed to me, else I'd just look it up. Also, are there provisions in the iPhone contract that differ from a normal AT&T plan contract?

7. xerostyles macrumors newbie

The contract is available online, look for "iPhone terms."

If canceled within 30 days then: Prorated bill + "May be required to return handset" (NO ETF or activation fees).

8. ubersalad thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is what I am saying, and I agree! I just want to make sure if anyone else have the same opinion about it.

9. mkoesel macrumors regular

Thanks for the link xerostyles.

So based on this, why are people so eager for a non-contract iPhone at the oft-quoted (though still only theoretical I believe) $599/$699 price? It seems you can get an iPhone now just by signing up a new account for $199/$299 + $175 + $1 month bill + $36. I guess its just people who have bad credit who are interested?