Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fa.ce

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
I've a very large photo library (more than 20.000 pics).
Aperture 3 is every day slower, i've read and apply all the suggestions from various site to fast up the app (that runs on new iMac or new MBA).
I'm thinking to come back to iPhoto that seems more light and user - friendly.
I know here and there most users move from iPhoto to Aperture ...

Just wonder: iPhoto 2011 uses non destructive editing like Aperture ?
I know that if i simply rotate a pic Aperture NOT create a new photo but simply add somewhere the rotate effect PRESERVING original.
iPhoto prior to 2011 version create NEW photo as a duplicate even if i want to simply rotate it.
The new 2011 version change that in some way ?
It's a pity if it creates a duplicate for every minus editing, in this way my 20.000 pics database will upgrade to 40.000 !!!

I'm looking for an App to automagically sync my iPhoto library between iMac and MBA, anyone ?

radek42

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Here, there, and everywhere
Seriously? I have small(ish) test (referenced) library on our new MBP ... where does iPhoto put duplicates? Together with masters or into its Library?

I hope you are wrong :)

R>

Unfortunately, iPhoto still duplicates pictures even for single effects like rotating.

----------

Are you using managed or referenced library? I am seriously considering using Ap3 for my library of ~29k images (half of which are 5+MB raw files). I am leaning towards referenced library for its flexibility to split it when necessary.

I'm sure there are more experienced users here to offer their insights ...

Cheers, R>

I've a very large photo library (more than 20.000 pics).
Aperture 3 is every day slower, i've read and apply all the suggestions from various site to fast up the app (that runs on new iMac or new MBA).
I'm thinking to come back to iPhoto that seems more light and user - friendly.
I know here and there most users move from iPhoto to Aperture ...

Just wonder: iPhoto 2011 uses non destructive editing like Aperture ?
I know that if i simply rotate a pic Aperture NOT create a new photo but simply add somewhere the rotate effect PRESERVING original.
iPhoto prior to 2011 version create NEW photo as a duplicate even if i want to simply rotate it.
The new 2011 version change that in some way ?
It's a pity if it creates a duplicate for every minus editing, in this way my 20.000 pics database will upgrade to 40.000 !!!

I'm looking for an App to automagically sync my iPhoto library between iMac and MBA, anyone ?

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey
Seriously? I have small(ish) test (referenced) library on our new MBP ... where does iPhoto put duplicates? Together with masters or into its Library?

I hope you are wrong :)

R>

----------

Are you using managed or referenced library? I am seriously considering using Ap3 for my library of ~29k images (half of which are 5+MB raw files). I am leaning towards referenced library for its flexibility to split it when necessary.

I'm sure there are more experienced users here to offer their insights ...

Cheers, R>

I also hoped I was wrong, but no unfortunately :)

http://www.apple.com/aperture/iphoto-to-aperture/

Look at 4 here. This is Apple's own words:

When you want to create an alternate version of a photo, iPhoto duplicates the photo.

To find where the modified one is stored, go to File/Reveal in Finder. You will see the options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.