MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released "Boys State" and "Ted Lasso," two new shows on its TV+ streaming platform.

"Boys State" is a political documentary that covers a week-long annual program where 1,100 17-year-old teenage boys in Texas participate in a mock exercise to build their own state government.

Filmmakers Jesse Moss and Amanda McBaine closely track the escalating tensions that arise within a particularly riveting gubernatorial race, training their cameras on unforgettable teenagers like Ben, a Reagan-loving arch-conservative who brims with confidence despite personal setbacks, and Steven, a progressive-minded child of Mexican immigrants who stands by his convictions amidst the sea of red. In the process, they have created a complex portrait of contemporary American masculinity, as well as a microcosm of our often dispiriting national political divisions that nevertheless manages to plant seeds of hope.
Apple purchased "Boys State" earlier this year for $10 million. The documentary won the Grand Jury Prize for documentary at the 2020 Sundance Film Festival, and Steve Jobs' widow, Laurene Powell Jobs, is one of its executive producers.

"Ted Lasso" is a comedy series from actor and Saturday Night Live alumnus Jason Sudeikis, and revives the character he played for NBC Sports' 2013 English Premier League coverage.

Sudeikis plays Ted Lasso, a small-time college football coach from Kansas hired to coach a professional soccer team in England, despite having no experience coaching soccer.
Apple has been adding new television content to ‌Apple TV‌+ on a regular basis, and yesterday we learned that Apple is planning to launch an Apple TV Channels bundle that features CBS All Access and Showtime at a discounted price as soon as next week.

Article Link: Comedy Series 'Ted Lasso' and Documentary 'Boys State' Debut on Apple TV+

graysunderland

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2011
Why do video cameras have to involve body politics and present me like a obese guy and that I am someone sitting around eating junk food all day that need to change his diet and start exercising? It is just so annoying.

*edit: see with the post I was making fun of now deleted, my post just sounds dumb now. Sigh. 😫

Last edited:

00001000bit

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2020
I'd be interested in watching Boys State. I attended Boys State, though it was many years ago, and in a much more liberal state ... so I don't remember the attendees as being so hyper-intense as the trailer portrays it. Yes, there was the whole "learn about how government works" aspect, but I recall it being more populated by kids who were going to get away for a week and attending because it would look good on a college application. (You were selected to go by your school, so it was kind of an 'award' of sorts.)

Reactions: Ar40

Ross Erickson

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2019
Seems like all Apple TV+ has turned out to be is one big preach pulpit, trying to masquerade as entertainment (and failing MUCH more often than not).

• Disagree
Reactions: Ar40 and boswald

matrix07

macrumors 604
Jun 24, 2010
As a fan of premiere league I’m diving in Ted Lasso and not regret it. It’s pretty good so far.
Still think Peacock’s Intelligence is a bit better though.

NightFox

macrumors 68030
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Watched the first episode of Ted Lasso last night, and have to admit it was better than I expected (though my expectation of it had been quite low). The premise of "underdogs intentionally set up to fail by evil owner" is such a cliché though, so I'm not expecting any surprises in how this is going to develop... maybe Apple will surprise me though.

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
As a fan of premiere league I’m diving in Ted Lasso and not regret it. It’s pretty good so far.
Still think Peacock’s Intelligence is a bit better though.
I made it through ½ episode of intelligence. The worst. Ted lasso was decent over the first three episodes.

matrix07

macrumors 604
Jun 24, 2010
I made it through ½ episode of intelligence. The worst. Ted lasso was decent over the first three episodes.

It will get better, trust me. I don’t like 1st episode much either.

I don’t think I was really hooked until episode 4th but by the end (episode 6th) I felt the season is too short and wants more.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.