Comet Pan-STARRS

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gonzo3333, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Has anybody been able to see Comet Pan-STARRS yet? I guess tonight and the rest of this week are going to be the best times to view it. For tonight 3.13.2013 look to the West about 20 min after sunset (19:01), just to the left and slightly above the crescent moon, very close to the horizon you should be able to see it if you have clear skies.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I would like to get some photos of it, but there are quite a few clouds in my area, so tonight might not be a good night to see it.

3. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

tried last night, nothing

tonite is fairly cloudy, maybe tomorrow

4. Gonzo3333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

The position of the comet tonight in relation to the moon was not correct in my original post. It was below and to the right of the moon. It was not very bright or very large so I would recommend using binoculars if you have them. All in all it was pretty neat, it's not every day you get to see a comet. I can't wait until November when ISON comes around.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I've had clouds in the west each of the past few nights. Wasn't able to get much of a glimpse.

I've got a few days, yet - I've got some pretty big binoculars that should do the trick. :cool:

6. Gonzo3333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

If anybody is having trouble finding the comet, download Distant Suns for your iPhone. There is a free version in the app store, it helped me find it in relation to the horizon.