Comfortable Sitting Distance & GPU

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CajunCARTFan, May 20, 2008.

1. CajunCARTFan macrumors member

CajunCARTFan

I am contemplating between a iMac 20" or a iMac 24". I really prefer to get the 24" iMac since it has a better screen and the 8800GS but I am concerned that it would hurt my eyes to sit as close as I do at my desk. My desk that I use is only 23" deep and I am wondering if this would be too close to use the 24". Any thoughts?

Also, I would do some Windows gaming and the only current gen games I have is CoD4, The Orange Box, and Assassin's Creed. Would I be able to play these on the 20" iMac with the Ati 2600 Pro or should I get the nVidia 8800GS? The other games I would play would be last gen and older games that I have. I don't game as much as I used to and I'm not as interested in PC gaming anymore. It has gotten to be a pain and expensive hobby and I already have a Wii and Xbox 360 to play games on.

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Do you have an Apple Store, or Apple kiosk in Best Buy, or a mom&pop Apple shop near you? If so, the best way to find out is to go there and try it out. The depth on my desk is 30", and I don't find it to be a problem with my 24" monitor, but you may feel differently with a 23" desk depth. You could take a tape measure with you to the store to get an idea whether it will work for you.

Another option would be to wall mount it, and pull your desk away from the wall a bit to your distance comfort. I'm not sure how well the games you listed will play on the 20" version, sorry. Personally, I'd go with more video ram if you'll be gaming, and it works with your budget.

If you don't have the option of trying it out in person, you have your 14 day return policy if you buy a factory configured model. If it's BTO, you're SOL (unless it's defective).

3. Hetman macrumors newbie

Hetman

There is no danger to your eyes, that is a myth. You can sit as close as you want as long as it's in focus. However, sitting 4 inches from the screen might make your neck tired. As for your eyes, you should look away from the screen and focus on a distant object every 20 min or so, even if the screen is 4 feet away.