Comic books anyone???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sumone, Sep 25, 2011.

1. sumone macrumors regular

Anyone into comics? If so what do you read?

I'm interested in finding some good comics. I haven't discovered my niche yet so I can't say which I prefer but i'm just looking for something with an interesting storyline.

Any suggestions?

2. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

If you're getting into comics now, it works out for you pretty well. DC is having a relaunch of their entire line, but canceling all of their old books & restarting with 52 'new' titles. Some are hit & miss, and they don't feel like true relaunches, more like slight reworks. Currently the books are all the rage & speculators have been swooping in to grab as many books to resell on Ebay. So you may want to look into digital copies, as DC has gone into same date releases as their physical copies.

Books you want to take a look at are Action Comics by Grant Morrison who is doing a sort of earlier version of Superman, so he's wearing his S shirt & cape, but with jeans & shoes. It's sort of the forming of the ideology of what becomes the Superman we sort of know. Animal Man, a very trippy book. Batwoman who is a mystical of sorts oriented Bat character, she's also known for being a lesbian main character. Not a focus, but a note about the character. Green Lantern who became very popular in the last few years, the book has an interesting twist if you know it's basic history. That's just a few.

Marvel is a bit harder to recommend because they are in the midst of their annual big marketed crossover event 'Fear Itself', and it's really not that interesting. Also X-Men has started a big event, as well as Spider-Man, so you'd be jumping into the middle of things with many Marvel Books.

So you may want to consider some alternatives. Atomic Robo is a fun science, pulpy type of book. Invincible is a more true to form super hero book than anything DC or Marvel is doing these days. There's of course Walking Dead that inspired the popular TV series. It's hard to recommend titles without knowing what genre you're interested in.

I'd recommend checking out a public library as many carry large collections of graphic novels. So for free you can check out entire story lines of popular Marvel & DC characters, Japanese Manga, and some of the more revered alternative titles that you probably ( Maus for instance ) may not have heard of.

Hope that helps.

Me personally, I tend to get books featuring art I like, over story lines. I do read Invincible & Atomic Robo regularly, enjoyed one or two DC titles, and just get the random Marvel.

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Do you like gore? Do you like action hero? What interests you?

I am currently reading and collecting the following:

'68 (This one is a short run of four comics, currently on number two)
    Chew (Really like this one a lot!)
    The Walking Dead (One of the most shocking series of comic books I have ever read)
    Scalped (Good ole fashion fun, great story so far also!)

I ordered all 52 of the new DC comics. Looking forward to the Batman and Superman re-hash's the most out of this one.

Some older issues that I have read and really liked:

Death Dealer (Verotika and Image)
    Verotika
    Shi
    Lady Death (Older series, haven't read the new ones)
    Evil Ernie (However this one went down hill pretty quick)

Spawn (Haven't read any since issue 150 something)

I liked a lot of the comics that were coming out of Image and a lot of the indie comics. They had more of an edge to them.

I am sure there are plenty of people here who read, let us know what really interests you and we can point you in the right direction.

4. sumone thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to both commenters I will check out your recommendations.

I guess I would say that I enjoy suspense. I like to read stories that keep me on edge and generally have a shocking ending. I'm not really into gore although a little gore here and there can add interest. I like stories that tend to have a dark undertone so not your traditional superman type comics.

5. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

The Walking Dead is hands down the greatest comic series of all time. The trials the main characters go through are some of the most intense situations, real or fake, I've ever read.

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I couldn't agree more. Just freaking brutal what some of these characters endure.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've always liked comics and collecting comics, usually picking Marvel over DC. Over the years I've bought some comics, kept some, and sold some. I'm not a serious collector and I buy only comics that I'd also like to read. I don't think I've ever throw away a comic.

At one of the comic websites this week I spotted a comic for sale that seems to have Bender on the cover. But the ad said the comic is from 1948! I guess Futurama was around before we were born!!

Attached Files:

8. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Supergod and No Hero by Warren Ellis
    Irredeemable started very strong, but seems to have run off the rails a bit
    The Boys has been an interesting work with a definitive end on the horizon
    Walking Dead
    Invincible had a great run until about issue 77 (but could still turn back around)

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I totally forgot about the "The Boys"...... Another good one!

10. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I read manga in japanese.
    I recommend Chobits and Death Note.