Comics in ComicZeal app on new iPad = ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Swampthing, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

Honestly I never thought I would see the perfect eReader for comic books until we got the iPad. That looked very nice, and ComicZeal looked pretty good... even though there was some pixelation.

Now with the new iPad, the retina display and backlighting makes comics look absolutely stunning. Zero pixelation, and the colors are extremely bright and stand out. Emolina, the app's author, said the current version of ComicZeal would support the higher resolutions, and they come through with flying colors.

I would highly recommend anyone who is an avid comic fan start using Comic Zeal, or any of the other comic apps.

2. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Comic Zeal is great, mainly for its organization features, but its not updated for retina yet.

Still looks very good as is though, fears of non retina apps looking worse than on the two were misplaced.

3. Swampthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

Most of the comics I have on my iPad were scanned in at higher resolutions that the original iPad could support. What I found interesting is that ComicZeal did not degrade these files on import, so when you fire up ComicZeal on the retina screen iPad, those comics look incredible. Emolina did say that the icons in the app need updating, and that's a plan for the future.

But as an avid comic fan, I am almost in tears over the beauty of comics in this app. :eek:

4. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

I was just reading the Buffy Season 9 comics on it and it really looks like printed glowing paper. I wish other pdf apps like goodreader or iannotation would do it like this one instate of degrading file-resolution into a pixelated mess...

5. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

How does this compare to Comic flow? I downloaded it this morning and my scans looked much better.

6. digiphantom macrumors regular

I was amazed when I read comics with comic zeal on the new screen. It was like having the print edition in my hands.

7. BigB117, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

BigB117 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've been a fan of comic zeal for a long time, but reading comics of my iPhone was never that great with its small screen.

I installed comic zeal on my new iPad last night and I agree, it looks fantastic. The iPad is a perfect comic reader IMO.

That app itself is in need of a retina update, but once my comic book is open I'm a happy camper.

8. mikepro macrumors 6502

I just bough comicglass because it was cheaper, and updated to support retina. It works really great. Controls and organization take some getting used to. Since it works for me and is cheaper, not sure if it's worth trying this app.. Can you guys post some screenshots?

9. BigB117 macrumors member

I noticed something today that you guys who use comic zeal might want to check. I ran out of space for iCloud backups last night, and after some digging I found that when my iPhone and iPad did their nightly backup they were backing up my comic zeal app, and all of my comics. Almost 4 gigs worth.

I turned off comic zeal in the iCloud settings and my backups are back down to around 100mb. I have all my comics on my pc already so I don't think I need them filling up my iCloud.

Other comic book apps might do this also, I'm not sure.

----------

The organization on comic zeal is kinda odd also, but the slider thing works pretty good and I can't think of a better way to do.

There are some screen shots here:

http://www.comiczealapp.com/