Comin' home to Mac - And thanks for the Advice!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chinarider, Jan 14, 2008.

1. chinarider macrumors regular

I'm a Lurker-turned-Member who just wanted to shout out a "Thanks" to all here - I have been reading your insight and advice for a few months now and just recently signed up.

I, like many others, am waiting for Tuesday to see what happens to MBP and then pull the trigger - For the first time in many, many years when it comes to Apple (except for my iPods!

I started in the 70s with a TRS-80 (remember those?), Tape drive with 4k of RAM - But was I happpy to upgrade to 16k!

Made the move to Apple IIc and Apple IIe and loved them. Started to play with programming and of course finished every "Ultima" game I could. I made money in school as "Typer Tommy" typing reports and papers for everyone since not many had a computer at the time.

As a Senior in college, I finally switched to Mac - It was the SE with (2) 720k drives - And I remember when I saw my first 20mb HD at a friend's - mmmmmmm!

Flash forward to 1990 - And I was BIG into games - I couldn't get enough. So, I made the decision to pack away the Mac and buy a PC (I know, I can hear you all from here)

6 PCs and probably a hundred games later, I am sick of Windows. Coming from a Mac background, I have always hated it! I have been needing a new laptop for over a year, and last October, when looking into the Dells (5 of my 6 machines have been Dells), I realized that I was forced to buy Vista with no XP option on the model I wanted. Well that was the last straw!

Coupled with the fact that I am a Video Editor who needs to learn FCP to stay competative, I just couldnt ignore the fact that I have cheated on the Mac for far too long.

Baby I'm Baaaack!

Thanks to a buddy who is a Mac consultant and who told me to wait until January, I have clentched my teeth in anticipation and frustration and spent my time reading these forums for 3 months.

I will be ordering a MBP as they are announced, no matter what the outcome - With FCPS2, Wireless MM and KB, Incase Sleave, etc. I already ordered MS Office due to the "Suite Deal" that I learned about here. I'm still wavering on what backpack and External drive to get.

So Thanks again - I hope that I can be as helpful to others here as you all have been to me.

Tom

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If you are a video editor, have you considered the new Mac Pro? For video, there is no comparison. The MBP won't even come close.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

dont be too hard on yourself. games are a essential part of many young ppl, we all been through that phase.

and congratulations for your decision and purchase, hope you will enjoy them.

4. chinarider thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I did consider - But I also REALLY need a new laptop and can't buy 2 machines yet. I'm going out on the road alot due to the political season, and at this point I really need to just Learn FCP - My clients hire me with their gear (Avid).

Many of my colleagues use MBP now - And though it is not ideal, it will do for now.

I figure when I'm caught up and start building a different client base, I'll get the Mac Pro - Probably next Jan.