Coming 10.9.x updates

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by expat42451, Nov 27, 2014.

1. expat42451 macrumors regular

Wonder how diligent the updates for 10.9 are going to be handled now that Yosemite is the latest and greatest. I wonder this because I ve read over the last month or two about some vulns that could have an effect on Mav. I am curious about whether Apple is going to throw us under the bus. Rather than go to Yosemite, I will instead install FreeBSD or some such other OpenSource OS on this MacBook Pro- I don't use an I Phone and don't much care for Yosemite.

Any thoughts?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

OS X Mavericks will receive security updates until the next version after OS X Yosemite is released.

3. sharon22 macrumors regular

In my experience, Apple doesn't throw mac users under the bus. When I was running Snow Leopard up until just recently, there always seemed to be updates here and there.

I will NEVER downgrade to Yosemite from Mavericks, so I'm in the same boat as you! :D

4. expat42451 thread starter macrumors regular

"In my experience, Apple doesn't throw mac users under the bus. When I was running Snow Leopard up until just recently, there always seemed to be updates here and there.

I will NEVER downgrade to Yosemite from Mavericks, so I'm in the same boat as you!".

Understand completely. Apple does NOT release any definitive information about changes in system internals from one major version update to another- an example of this was the major changes in the firewall between Lion and Mavericks.If you are running OSX in a production environment then that complicates things a lot. Without going to the developer threads its difficult to know and even there, sometimes impossible. Even though I am a no longer active member of the developer community in OSX, I did not see any real information on Yosemite system internals being released other than "look at the new GUI and what it can now do with an I Phone and the Cloud."

I see other disturbing directions that Apple is taking. To me, Yosemite seems primarily aimed at a bridge between their cell phone and a desktop. something that Microsoft tried in Windoze 8 to their regret. Seems in both the latest IOS and Yosemite, there was a rush to market before all of the bugs were ironed out, witness the relatively quick relatively major updates to both post release. From a hardware standpoint, consider that the new Mac Pro (the trashcan) isn't nearly as upgradeable or configurable by a commercial user-as were the earlier tower configuration Pros. I have a number of power user friends in sound and movie editing express concern over the direction of hardware development -- some of whom use multiple Pros in their sound or graphics/cine businesses- have elected NOT to upgrade because of the trashcan. Apple doesn't make a server grade tower any longer but still has their server software so go figure that out.

Regards and agree completely with your comment about Yosemite. Also there are a couple of known vulnerabilities that have surfaced over the last 6 weeks for OSX. I have seen no security updates for Mavericks in a while. Maybe Apple doesn't consider them critical enough, dunno.

Expat

5. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

6. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

7. expat42451 thread starter macrumors regular

Just posted over there.

8. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Patience … keep calm …

If Yosemite installs in the woods …

:)