Coming back, friends! (Hackintosh abandoner)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Abyssgh0st, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Hey all iMac owners,

I just placed my order (via MacMall) for a new in box 27" iMac (2010) 2.93GHz i7, 4GB, 1TB, 5750! Very excited to get my hands on one of these as I had a 21.5" iMac C2D that I had in early 2010 and sold earlier this year in order to build a Hackintosh (specs in sig) to use with my 24" ACD.

Well lately my 24" ACD has just felt 'small,' and I've really been eyeing the 27" ACDs/Thunderbolt Displays. Gonna be punting my Hackintosh, ACD, and iPad 2 (barely use it and the girlfriend has my extra one, so if I really need it it's there) and it'll basically cover the entire computer ($1489, no tax, free ship, 1 year of AC) after I sell the included Magic Mouse and keyboard as I don't need them. Super excited!

For those wondering, what I didn't like about having a Hackintosh:

1. OS X updates- This just flat sucks. It's a roll of the dice if you can upgrade, and it truly isn't worth the time for me to have my main computer not up to date. Especially since OS X Lion was no where in my future, if ever possible (was still on 10.6.4- no App store even).

2. I was using Windows a lot of them time because of my frustrations with the OS X side (not to mention the mouse traction always reset to 1 upon logging into OS X, quite annoying!), so I paid extra to build a computer that was hackintoshable, only to not use it as a Mac but 10-15% of the time.

3. Windows (cont.)- I'm very safe with windows regarding what I download, install, etc. I run regular virus scans from multiple companies (this sucks, such a hassle). After about 6 months of use this computer is a shadow of it's former 6-core speedy self. Not even going to fiddle with a re-install, **** it!

4. It's ugly. Cables out the wahzoo. An unattractive black case to boot. Yuck.

5. Boot time- incredibly slow to boot due to difficult to fix boot errors, and having to choose which OS via Chameleon.

What I did like about having a Hackintosh:

...Nothing?

Kidding.

1. Price- It was only about $450 for the build (had case, PSU, fans, disc drive, etc). Should be able to sell it all for $300-325. Not bad for 6 months of use.

2. The MagSafe charger from the ACD is great for docking my 11" MBA (2011), and I will truly miss this more than anything else. Oh what I'd pay for a USB to MagSafe charger!

Anyways, thanks for reading if you did! Glad to be back in the iMac club, and with glorious 2,560 x 1,440! ;)

:apple:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'm just thinking of dumping my 24" iMac for a Hackintosh :p

3. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

I left hackintosh from the same reason. The one day it could run great and the other day it can just show errors which is super annoying.

4. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

With Windows 7 I just use Microsoft Security Essential (free) and Malwarebytes (paid version), I found those two offers enough protection. You can also add web browser extensions such as Noscript (disable Javascript), Ghostery (stop web tracking) and Certificate patrol to safe guard from malicious websites.

I use virtual Windows for websites and downloads I'm not sure about, that way it will not affect the main OS.

There are also many software designed to speed up Windows by clean out temp files, registers and old uninstalled programmes.

There really is no need to have multiply anti-virus software install on a Windows machine and re-install windows every 6months.

Just some tips if you decide to install Windows on your new imac.

5. mac-ho macrumors member

Hackintosh=You get what you pay for!!! Na,Na,Na.

6. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Thanks for the tip- great idea on installing a VM of Windows to test the shady stuff. I plan to BootCamp/Parallels on my new iMac.

I was also using Windows Security Essentials, Windows Defender, and Malware bytes (free), along with AVG and another minor program. Don't think I had a virus, but to have to install that crap, and worry about scanning manually when the programs would automatically shut down was annoying!

Still super excited for my iMac!

And also HH:

I'm totally sure you could do it with ease and not encounter any of ther problems I have.. From what I've read you're über knowledgable about computers and how they really work, where I am good at fixing minor problems, finding software/media, and choosing components/built machines. I realized I didn't know enough(especially with this hackintosh) about the functions of a computer, not to mention on both OS X and Windows.

7. yeomans11 macrumors newbie

I hope you enjoy your new iMac. I own several bits of Apple hardware. Mac Minis, MacBooks, iPads, iPhones, iPods, Airport routers, etc. Despite what some people claim, most of Apple's hardware is no more pricy than other PC manufacturers. They do refuse to enter the low low end of some markets. One item that they make that is not a very good value to me is a high end workstation. The Mac Pro asks for a premium beyond what I am willing to pay.

I think some of your reasons for not liking a hackintosh anymore are valid but I feel compelled to point out that using an AMD cpu is the main cause of your problems with updates. My hackintosh uses an intel cpu and I have had no problems with updates. I started with 10.6 and have been doing regular updates since then. Updating to 10.7 will prove to be a bit tricky but it seems to be tricky for even some apple hardware. The AMD cpu necessitates an altered kernel which makes it difficult to upgrade.

Enjoy

P.S. I am jealous of the 27" screen. :p

8. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Thanks for the nice words. This is going to be my 9th or 10th Mac, and definitely the most powerful! One of the best things for me has got to be that screen size.. My 21.5 was a world different than my 13" Air, the 24" ACD over the iMac, and hopefully it's the same revaluation with this 27"!

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's what I don't understand; mine's been chugging along for 2.5 years now and has never had "random errors".