Coming from a developer standpoint?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Klae, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Klae macrumors member

Ok so my question is coming from a developer standpoint would I be better off getting an IMac or something smaller like a mbp or mba?

2. vladfein macrumors regular

Developer of what?

3. sainsburys macrumors regular

I'm developer and I think that for us the bigger screen is better. One big window will be your code editor, second debugger, third documentation, fourth something else. I can't believe that writing apps on notebook display can be pleasure.

4. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

5. willieva macrumors 6502

Screen size is important for a developer. Either an imac or a laptop with an external screen is what you want. If you can afford a laptop and at least a 27" screen(IMHO) then that is the way to go. Portability is a nice option. If you can't afford that, then try to get a 27" imac. And it's not so much about screen size as # of pixels. 27" screens offer more horizontal pixels which allows you to open more full size windows.

6. Klae thread starter macrumors member

Developer of applications and programs software

----------

Right now my setup consists of a mid 2011 Mac mini and my apple cinema display 23inch.

----------

Right now my setup consists of a mid 2011 Mac mini and my apple cinema display 23inch.

----------

If I might ask how did you learn to develop apps?

7. sainsburys macrumors regular

Emm...I'm not sure that I understand your question...How did I learn to develop?

What do you mean by how? Which books I read, which courses I took? How many hours I spent on programming?

8. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

I'm an iOS developer as well. Definitely get the largest screen possible. I would get the 27" iMac and possibly pair it with a 27" Thunderbird display. I'm about to upgrade to dual screen from a single 27". I've worked with dual 27"s before and it was fantastic. CS6 open in one, Xcode and resources open on the other. I would stay away from mobile solutions. I used a 13" MBP with min-DP out to a 27" and it limited my expansion options.