Coming from a SP3?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Cnasty, May 28, 2015.

1. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I posted this in the rMBP area but also interested in any feedback from anyone coming from a SP3 to a rMB:

I have had my Surface Pro 3 for 4 days. I recently sold my 11inch macbook air base configuration 2014 model.

I was growing tired of the mediocre screen but loved every single other aspect of the MBA.

So I got a i5/128 SP3 and really love the hardware as the screen is amazing and small footprint in the size. Great battery as well. Problem is the typepad cover is absolutely abysmal and I have scaling issues in the programs I use the most (OOTP).

I've never owned a rMBP and don't want to go back to the MBA. Is the weight that big of a difference and I am assuming the rMBP will be more powerful than both devices so its an actual uptick in performance and I will only end up paying about $100 extra after I return the SP3. My biggest concern is portability as I am on the go nonstop and need to carry it all day from meeting to meeting as well as battery life.

Should I go to to the macbook non pro or is that too big of a downgrade performance wise?

Any input on anyone coming from a SP3 or MBA will be greatly appreciated as I am looking to return soon as Best Buy only has a 15 day return policy.

Thanks in advance.

2. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

googling always helps, as does youtube that might compare the two.

3. Macbuyer7 macrumors member

http://youtu.be/VBJTo51KlVc

Hope this video helps!

4. Keene1bj, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015

Keene1bj macrumors newbie

SP3 User

So, in the last year, I have gone back and forth between owning SP2/SP3 and rMBP 13. Litterally I have owned 1 SP2, 2 SP3, and 2 rMBP 13". I simply can't decide if I want one or the other. Through all of this I have found that I can't deal with the size/wight of the rMBP 13" after owning the SP3 (my current machine). I travel alot and really really like to have an ultraportable device. At the moment, I am considering the new rMB. For my tasks, I believe the rMB will be powerful enough (excel, PDFs, movies on the plane, email, browsing). Note that I only ever keep one computer so if I do go to the rMB, it will be my main machine. Best advice I can give you, from my personal experience, is that the rMBP 13" would feel like an outdated and heavy device compared to your SP3.

Also, I have been using the Windows 10 preview (and its iterations) on my SP3 since it came out late last year. If I HAD to use Windows 8 and there was no announcement of Windows 10, I would already own the rMB. Windows 10 has been a game changer for me and is making it much harder to make the decision to move back to OSx (which I love) even though I own an iP6, APTV, and iPad Air.

5. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

This is some real world info I was looking for as I have watched some YouTube videos and read reviews but its just not the same. A big factor is portability but also performance. It seems the rMB is severely lacking in comparison to the rMBP but we all know they are not the same device. I guess it comes down to how much power do I need versus do I want to be more portable.

The SP3 is a very nice device but it isn't excellent at anything and that is. A major compromise for me after paying what I did for it. It seems to the rMB checks off more boxes than either for me but wondering if that power and build is future proof enough of what I want to do with it as its weaker than my previous MBA.

6. Keene1bj macrumors newbie

I agree with you that the SP3 isn't great at anything...and oddly its likely best as a desktop replacement when including the dock. Even more oddly, the fact that its only mediocore at everything seems to have grown on me as it literally can replace all of my devices with the exception of my phone and still work satisfy me. If it ran OSX (and not a hackintosh - ive done that too on this), I'd be perfectly good to go. I really just want this form factor with OSX or a hybrid of on it. In the end, I will likely just buy the new rMB and keep them both for a few weeks to compare useage back to back.