coming from an iBook user, how much glare on MBP

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dcx3, Jan 9, 2009.

1. dcx3 macrumors member

I know people have their own preferences on Matte or Glossy, thats fine. I have an iBook 900mhz and it is outdated, but still going strong. However it's time to upgrade. I don't know the technical details on the screens resolution etc.. but I do know that it is not glossy. I will be buying a MBP and my first choice was to stick with the anti-glare/matte as that's what im used to.

With my iBook I know in some situations the screen on full brightness can seem somewhat dim, but im assuming the newer MBP's are brighter even with matte?

I have used a Toshiba glossy laptop and was not a fan of the reflections, but can adjust im sure. Anybody go from a iBook display to a new MBP display, what was it like?

With that said, is the glossy so terrible or will it be fine? I dont have an apple store near me to go check them out so I will order from online.

In addition to the regular computer use of internet, email etc.. i will be editing videos and photos.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

If your professionally editing videos and photos i would recommend the glossy screen, as the colours seem richer with more depth, when you use the matte screen its as if they always seem to have a slight alpha to them. Also blacks seem more like real black on the glossy screen if you know what i mean.

I dont find the gloss a problem at all, i dont even notice the reflection even when im working outside, the LCD backlit screen is really really bright and its not caused me any problems, half the time i wonder if the people arguing for matte screens have actually spent the time adjusting to a glossy screen. Once youve adjusted its hard to go back.

3. dcx3 thread starter macrumors member

That is good to hear. I think I read somewhere that apple increased the brightness to even out the glare or something along those lines. If all it takes is some adjusting, the I think I'd be fine with glossy. thanks for your input.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

This is coming from someone who just went from a 17" matte MBP to a 15" Glossy Unibody MBP:

IN MY OPINION,
    The gloss is a non-issue. At the higher brightnesses of the display you won't notice much in the way of reflections. At lower brightness (like when on battery) you'll quickly learn to ignore the reflections. The colors and blacks pop much more on the gloss screen. I like that aspect much better.

As far as glare, I don't see it as being any different than my matte screen. When bright light hits the glossy screen, yes you get a glare. By the same token when that same bright light hits a matte screen, you get an area you can't see at all. Either way bright light hitting the screen is not good.

That's my $.02. For the record this is being typed on a glossy screen in my harshly fluorescent office. No problems.

5. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I think you are the only person on this board that has that opinion.
    "Professionals" rarely recommend glossy. If you care about acurate colors you don't want a display that makes colors "seem" richer.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Going from an iBook to an MBP will not be as much a glare issue, but rather you'll finally realize how BRIGHT a laptop screen should be. It will be the difference between the moon and sun when you see how bright the MBP is. You don't know what you're missing.