coming from an iphone 3g.. im overwhelmed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sgrrsh26, Oct 16, 2011.

1. sgrrsh26, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

sgrrsh26 macrumors 6502

Im a very tech savvy person, I just havent upgraded in a while =X. That being said, I am totally overwhelmed with the features of this phone. I cant even begin to think about which feature I should mess around with first, there's just so much there.

A few things I noticed, it does get a little warm, (just popping through the menus even). Battery life on the initial charge seems ok, I'll have to wait till tonight to test out the standby.

Siri is cool but I expected more. I cant have it read back any reminders to me, (which would be helpful is it was in my pocket at the time). It has mistaken what I said quite a bit, to the point I thought something was wrong with my mic. Wrote life instead of wife, etc. small mistakes and such. Also doesnt seem to do to well keeping the conversation going like a normal convo as shown in the keynote.

This thing is fast, signal is far improved from my 3g (actually get 3g here in my deadzone of a house, 1 bar but still better than zip).

I dislike not being able to switch off 3g, mainly because work is a deadzone that I could only pick up edge on my 3g, but I'm pretty sure my phone was broken so hoping to get a decent 3g signal now.

Again I'm just overwhelmed with all the new features, I even appreciate the settings screen reverting to whatever section of it I last viewed. Gonna be a long night.

For those of you looking to pick one up, I live on Long Island Ny, the apple store at the local mall had plenty in stock although i sat on a line for about a half hour. The sprint's were low, and whites as well, but they had plent 64gb and I nabbed myself a 32gb black att without a problem.

Lastly, I know there are tons of threads about this already, but what screen protectors and case do you guys recommend. I wish those were the first things I purchased, lol.

Theres another set of icons hiding under a double tap!!!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Take it slow and I like power support anti glare or just a best skins ever front shield. I'm trying the BSE first.

3. sgrrsh26 thread starter macrumors 6502

take it slow? Im sitting here staring at the main menu. :rolleyes:

Loving everything about this phone right now.:apple:

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yeah, iOS5 is considerably more complex than older iOS versions, mostly thanks to iCloud, and they added a lot more options for almost everything. It can be hard to get a handle on where everything is and where the settings for various things are. Siri and Photo Stream and iCloud syncing are configurable in multiple places, for example, and sometimes you need to configure in multiple places for something to work, and sometimes even in a particular order, like when setting WiFi syncing to a desktop. That unfortunately reminds me a bit of a primary reason I've always hated Windows (settings spread out and buried in multiple places). That's the price of progress, I guess.

5. sgrrsh26, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

sgrrsh26 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. morningstarc macrumors newbie

You can turn 3g off in settings>general>network>enable 3G is a toggle switch.

7. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Welcome to the iPhone 4S and new technology!!!

PS: On the iPhone 4S you can't turn 3G on/off. Don't know why but you just can't.

8. ryulinho macrumors newbie

I'm still using an iPhone (the 2G kind). Monday cannot get here fast enough :p I'm probably not going to be overwhelmed, but I'm sure I'll be fully satisfied.

9. jesses macrumors regular

jesses

I'm 'upgrading' from an iPod Touch 2G. You're making me pretty excited about all those features and whatnot.

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Just to be clear, you can no longer toggle 3G on iPhone 4S.

11. sgrrsh26 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its amazing, im a 22 year old guy, big techie, but I feel like an old man "Gosh dang this fandagled contraption!"

Tech moves FAST now!!!

12. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

OP, if you like a case with a lot of protection but not a lot of bulk, check out the Otterbox Commuter cases. A silicone wrap covers the phone and then a plastic shell goes over that to give it a good, solid feel. I put one on my 4S before leaving the store (I also had one on my 3GS for the last 2 years). The big bonus with these cases is that they've got built in headphone port and 30-pin port covers, so you don't have to worry about dust, dirt, or water getting in there.

As far as the screen protectors go, you'll find a lot of varying opinions. I love the Power Support Anti-Glare ones on my 3GS, but have gone with crystal (clear) ones now that I've got the 4S. The anti-glare ones can degrade how great the screen looks, and I didn't want to miss out on finally having the Retina display! :D The ones I'm using right now are just a cheap 3-pack I picked up from the AT&T store around the corner from my office, but they're quite nice and went on without any problems. BTW, the Commuter case I recommended above works great with a screen protector. I've never had a problem with it interfering with the edges and making them come up. The cheap screen protector pack I got from the store was $9.99, I believe.

I'm blown away by this phone, too! And I came from a 3GS, so I can't imagine how great it is for you coming from a 3G. Congrats!

13. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Wait... what? Why? This must not be an iOS5 thing because I am using it on my 4 and I turn off 3G. Why would they not allow someone to turn it off? I hardly ever use 3G ... when I update to the 5 or whatever next year's iPhone is, I hope they re-enable the option or it could be an issue for me.

14. tivoboy macrumors 68030

hot

Yeah, I'm not really sure why this phone compared to a 3G or 3Gs gets much hotter/warmer during use. GPS use I can understand but just calling it gets warm.

15. MRiOS macrumors regular

Really? then what is this option on my iPhone 4S that I found under General>Network that's titled "Cellular Data" with the text underneath "Turn off cellular data to restrict all data to wifi, including email, web browsing, and push notifications."

Unless this only applies to iPhones used on the Verizon network, than I believe you may have your facts wrong.

16. moetownslick macrumors regular

moetownslick

That made me lol

----------

I think that turns off ALL cell data (3G, EDGE, etc.) The older version had it to where you could turn off 3G but still keep EDGE on.

17. tivoboy macrumors 68030

nope

That is for ALL cellular data, not just 3G. historically, up till at least 4.3.5, one could toggle on the GMS networks, from 3G ON, to 3G off and the phone would only access the data networks at EDGE speeds. It was very useful if the battery was low or if say the 3G towers were overloaded.

THESE are the "facts"

18. MRiOS macrumors regular

oh, ok, so I had my facts wrong. thank you for that information. (the 4S is my first iPhone and even on my original iPad with 3G all I had was the "Cellular Data" toggle.)

19. sgrrsh26 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have to say I dont have a case yet but this thig feels FRAGILE! I need to get me one of those otterbox commuters ASAP.