Coming from Android, Pre-Ordering new iPhone, Activation Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Don't Stop, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Don't Stop macrumors newbie

Don't Stop

I'll try to keep this short as possible, lol. Anyways, my wifey has an Android phone right now. She wants an iPhone next and so I'm planning to get her the new 6s/6s+ (still deciding which). We are on T-Mobile. The T-Mobile stores (2 Stores) around us tend to NOT carry the high storage variants of iPhones. She needs that 128GB storage. So I was planning to buy it through Apple's website when pre-orders are available. I am a bit lost as to how I would activate the new iPhone once I receive it. I see there's an option to select a "T-Mobile SIM" on the website. Would I be able to activate and transfer her phone # and plan onto the iPhone myself at home or do I need to go into a T-Mobile Store and do all that since she's coming from an Android phone?

2. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

I have never bought a TMOB phone from Apple, but have with AT&T. I imagine it is similar. You input your phone # and associated info, buy the device and wait. When it arrives, you turn off your old phone, power on the iPhone, follow the steps, and boom, activated.

3. rigormortis, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

did "don't stop' say he was an existing customer?

if he has Tmobile then you just move the sim card from one device to the other, and thats it.
    if the sim card isn't the same size then you would have to get them to change the sim card number on the account

if he isn't a t-mobile customer and he is porting from another carrier, you would just need to bring your iPhone , t-mobile sim card (if you don't have one they will charge $15) , and give them your old telephone number, account number, and any billing passwords from the other carrier and they will port your service over and cancel your old carriers service

the t-mo website or the store should be able to order whatever size you want and send it to you and finance it if you want

when buying a t-mobile phone from a t-mobiel store, it will be locked to t-mobile , even if you pay full price, they will unlock your phone if its paid off, last year t-mobile had this weird deal back in September where they wanted the phone on the network for 40 days before they would agree to unlock it

when buying a t-mobile phone from the apple store, it will be unlocked

nobody knows what apple is doing.

is apple going to release a new iPhone that is "AT&T / verizon / t-mobile " and also later sell a sim free unit that works on those 3 carriers plus sprint like it is now with the sim free unit or is going to be like last year when they waited till january to sell the "sim free" version that you can bring to sprint ??

most people who try and second guess apple for a living think that it will be an apple sim
    and it will work on sprint

the AT&T verizon and t-mobile iPhone initially wasn't officially sanctioned by verizon, but it is now

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

You should have no problems going from Android to iPhone on Apple's website during pre-order. All you need to do during the pre-order process is log in with your T-Mobile credentials(it will prompt you to do so) and select which line you wish to upgrade/activate with your newly purchased phone. The rest should be taken care of.

5. Don't Stop thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't Stop

Thank you for the response. That seems easy enough. It's been 2 years since we've upgraded and every time I've done so in a T-Mobile store they always gave us new SIM cards. But this was helpful.

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

This is likely because of the newer technologies that have been introduced. Four years ago would probably have been from a full SIM card to a mini SIM, then two years ago would likely have been from mini SIM to micro SIM.