Coming from Android, will still jailbreak (didn't want to have to)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by miamialley, Sep 19, 2014.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I only want to do a few things that will force me to jailbreak my iPhone 6.

-Contact pictures in the thread menu for text messages (and for the email thread). This is a small thing that makes a big difference to me. And I don't want the tiny little circles either. It's so Apple to allow it in the Plus, but not the 6. There's plenty of room. Please just give us the option! So annoying.

-Change default apps. Apple maps kinda sucks.

That list is a lot shorter than when I jailbroke my iPhone 4! But alas, still necessary.

2. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

Good luck jail breaking the 6.. It'll be a while. A looooooooooooong while..

3. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

I was wondering about that.

:/

4. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

funny, I'd turn off the contact pictures if I could :p

5. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Shoot now I can't remember the names of some of the tweaks but what I'm missing is-

The one that lets you swipe up on an app icon and 'nest' four more behind it.

Folder Closer

f.lux

Activator

:D

6. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

It looks so plain without pics. So boring.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Cyntact or Copic will take care of that. :D

The jailbreak for iOS 8 will be a while yet. Who knows how long.

Threads about it are already starting to pop up in the JB forum here on MR.

My biggest desire would be to have a way to get iOS 6 back on my iPhone 5. I'm stuck on iOS 7 and I want off this fruitcake, nutjob version of iOS. Unfortunately, it's just not possible.

8. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

Remember, i's not just the iOS version that needs to be broken, but the hardware itself. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Apple has learned a few lessons, and that the iPhone 6 will be un-jailbreakable for the foreseeable future, EVEN IF iOS 8 on other devices is.

Honestly, Jailbreaking these days is pretty lame. The phone does 99% of what anyone would ever want, and without a jailbreak, it's impervious to malware, viruses, etc.. The sandboxes protect the phone perfectly.

----------

Did I say looooooooooooong time? I mean, probably never.

9. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Ya your right doing what you want with the stuff you just paid over $1,000.00 for is lame. They should weld every car hood closed, and make it illegal to change the color of your house inside or out. I mean you only paid for it so take it like it is and shut up you ignorant person, someone else has already decided what is best for you.

10. Buffaluphagus macrumors newbie

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That may be the case for you. But, certainly not for me. I had to move to iOS 7 recently because I had to replace my iPhone 5. I hate iOS 7, but at least it's jailbreakable. I still have well over 20+ tweaks installed to get what I want.

Apple still won't allow f.lux.

So, jailbreaking may be a dead issue for you or other people, but it's still quite popular among those who want it.

BTW, it's not jailbreaking that causes security issues. It's what people do after they jailbreak that causes those issues.

12. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

Jailbreaks work by breaking the security model of the phone. They override the code signing checks and break sandboxing. How could it *possibly* be as safe to jailbreak vs. not?

13. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

And tell me again why your phone is locked so you can't get into it.....

Oh wait I just remembered, because if you could get into it you could remove carrier IQ and close the back doors used by the N5A and every other company with the money to pay apple for the info. Lol

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Because you assume that whatever path was taken to make the jailbreak possible has left all security flung wide open and that the device is completely compromised.

That isn't the case. There is one way to leave the barn door open after you jailbreak and if you're an idiot or don't understand what you're doing then that's your fault. It's even covered how to avoid that in Cydia. But even then, only those who are aware of that particular thing could take advantage of it.

But simply jailbreaking your device does not compromise security, especially when an attacker does not have physical posession of the device itself.

15. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Excuse me while I go grab my tinfoil hat....

16. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Bad move. Tin foil resonates at 3.5 MHz the same as most modern black ops tech, it will only turn your head into a bigger antenna.

What you should use is some modern faraday cloth that is designed to block EMF. Sheesh, I can't believe you didn't already know all of this stuff, it's so kindergarten.

17. deviant macrumors 65816

I'd jail brake for flux alone. I can't live without it already. It's genius