Coming from Canada to buy iPhone HELP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bainesajay, Oct 19, 2007.

1. bainesajay macrumors member

Hello everyone, I am planning to come from Canada (Victoria BC) and take the ferry to seattle and then make my way to the Apple Store. I was hoping to buy an iPhone for myself and unlock it. I have bought stuff from the US before and I am not inquiring with regards to customs.

I just had a question with regards to buying the iPhone, is it as easy as simply picking up and ringing it in? or will they make me sign some AT&T form? do they make your wait a day or so? do i have to provide an address? should I lie to the apple guy? Are they low on stock sometimes? should I call and ask first?

Any advice would be appreciated
    Don't make fun of me for coming to buy an iPhone, i have other businnes as well (yeah thats right....) ok i am coming to buy an iPhone.

Hey if you saw the phones we got here with our providers you would too.

2. bainesajay thread starter macrumors member

3. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Well, I can't help you, but I can commiserate with you, the phones available from Rogers Canada truly suck! Rogers truly makes Cingular look like a great wireless provider. :rolleyes:

4. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    lol

your post is funny...

Just go to the Apple store near Seattle and buy an iPhone.

Then come back and prey you can navigate through all the threads and blogs and stuff to unlock the phone...and firmware and something called a spring board and iNdependance...phew...makes my head hurt.

but ya, just buy it and unlock it

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Here is what I know from someone else in Canada and that person may or may not chime in. ;)
    You can go to any store that sells the iPhone and buy it without needing to buy into an AT&T plan. Because there is no iPhone discount when you sign up for AT&T and since the phones are sold at the Apple store, you can just buy outright. Activation is on your head though. :)

6. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Ok, here is what I know. If you go to an ATT store, they will make you buy a 2 year contract or they won't sell you a phone.

I'm in Vancouver so I just went through this.

I'm not sure what happens if you buy from an Apple store athough I think they want your US address.

I bought mine from craigslist. Yep I paid more for it, 575 cracked, but it is totally worth it.

PM me for more details.

Cheers.

7. stevehp macrumors 6502

I got one from the u.s. on Saturday. I was in and out in about 10 minutes. No forms, nothing. They check your ID, but they didn't care that it was canadian.

I unlocked it myself. Follow this guide and you will be all set

http://www.hacktheiphone.com/111/iphone_step1_mac.html

8. bainesajay thread starter macrumors member

thanks guy

Hey Thanks to everyone, I think i will be ok. I am leaving on saturday monring to the states. I am brown, so that may be a problem, but I have gone many times.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

Ajay