Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
I plan on getting an 8GB iPhone in early August but I have a few questions.

Since I am coming from T-Mobile as my contract will end soon, can I purchase the iPhone at an Apple Store and successfully activate it while keeping my same number all through iTunes?

I will also have another line, so I will probably choose the Family Plan. If the other line isn't an iPhone is it better for me to do the whole ordeal at an at&t location?

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
You can purchase the phone at an AT&T store or an Apple store. The activation is done all in iTunes. Yes you are able to port your number over to your new iPhone/AT&T account.

As far as the family plan........I'm not sure. Someone else will have to chime in on that.

sJv

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Sierra Foothills, CA
I believe all can be done via iTunes, but you may want to consider this route:

When your contract expires, go to your local AT&T store, and sign up for the family plan of your choice. Pick out two nice regular phones at a subsidized rate. I think stores like Best Buy and Wallymart will also work, but give you a better deal on your phones. AT&T will port your number over. Now go pick up an iPhone, and activate it via iTunes, replacing your phone number. You now have an extra phone. You can keep the phone as a spare (the iPhone SIM card will work in it after you activate it), or sell it on ebay. This is what I did, but opted to keep the phone as a spare.

Activation for existing customers is very easy via iTunes. The iPhone will cost an extra $20/mo for the data plan, but nothing extra for the voice plan you've chosen.

-steve

I plan on getting an 8GB iPhone in early August but I have a few questions.

Since I am coming from T-Mobile as my contract will end soon, can I purchase the iPhone at an Apple Store and successfully activate it while keeping my same number all through iTunes?

I will also have another line, so I will probably choose the Family Plan. If the other line isn't an iPhone is it better for me to do the whole ordeal at an at&t location?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.