Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Game Center icon do you like the most? (Pictures in post below)

• White and Orange

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orange and White

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • White and Brown

• Brown and White

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • White and Green

• Green and White

• White and Darker Green

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Darker Green and White

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
I sketched the GAME CENTER podium idea out the way I'd want it to be.

I don't like your icon, but not for the reason you might think. Take a look at this:
ZtJmwA1.png

What I've done is (roughly) overlaid parts of the iOS 7 icon Grid System over your icon. My problem is that no part of your icon aligns with this grid, whereas all of the other icons in iOS 7 do.
I'd love to see if you could reshape and re-postition the podium to fit the Grid System. Make sure none of the podium goes outside of that outer circle (the reflection is fine), and also you could align the bottom of the podium to the bottom green line I drew on. Use this as a guideline. This could also help to see how other icons make use of it.

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
Thanks, but I sketched it in Brushes for iPad just so I could show the concept. It is not by any means a well-thought out design. Just a tidy sketch of the podium idea for fun. Would be cool to see your take on it, but with more colour.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Updated today with new icons and a few minor changes. I did Dropbox but I made a mess of it, so I might give that another go soon. Though apparently, they're ready to release a new app and flat icon within the next few weeks. I'll also get on with a few of the other suggestions like Google Maps and Tweetbot.

I will be theming the icons within the OS as well. This means in the Share menu, Settings app, Siri and all the other places beginning with 's' that you encounter the iOS 7 icons.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
big post; deleted the content

I've been following you ever since you made the first alternate game center logo and I have to say, I am EXTREMELY impressed now.

Honestly this is a theme I'd be willing to pay for. When iOS 7 becomes jailbroken you can believe me this will be a theme I download.

Only thing I have to comment on is the camera icon doesn't really go with the red background, and I'm not the biggest fan of the hockey puck looking photos app but over all very well done.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
I've been following you ever since you made the first alternate game center logo and I have to say, I am EXTREMELY impressed now.

Honestly this is a theme I'd be willing to pay for. When iOS 7 becomes jailbroken you can believe me this will be a theme I download.

Only thing I have to comment on is the camera icon doesn't really go with the red background, and I'm not the biggest fan of the hockey puck looking photos app but over all very well done.

Thanks very much! :)

Camera - I did make a grey version of the icon for those who didn't like the red (in the 'alternatives' section), but I might make another colour choice to replace the grey one. Speaking of the Camera icon, I literally just realised my icon hasn't ever been properly aligned!
Photos - I like the icon I did, but I realise other may not (hence why I make alternative icons). If you can think of a design or image I could use, then I could make a separate icon based around that.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Thanks very much! :)

Camera - I did make a grey version of the icon for those who didn't like the red (in the 'alternatives' section), but I might make another colour choice to replace the grey one. Speaking of the Camera icon, I literally just realised my icon hasn't ever been properly aligned!
Photos - I like the icon I did, but I realise other may not (hence why I make alternative icons). If you can think of a design or image I could use, then I could make a separate icon based around that.

The photos one isn't bad at all, I think it's just the colors are too bright, try toning them down a bit and just see, it may look better with the brightness they're at.

I didn't see the alternative camera icon and I really like that one too.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I don't like your icon, but not for the reason you might think. Take a look at this:

What I've done is (roughly) overlaid parts of the iOS 7 icon Grid System over your icon. My problem is that no part of your icon aligns with this grid, whereas all of the other icons in iOS 7 do.
I'd love to see if you could reshape and re-postition the podium to fit the Grid System. Make sure none of the podium goes outside of that outer circle (the reflection is fine), and also you could align the bottom of the podium to the bottom green line I drew on. Use this as a guideline. This could also help to see how other icons make use of it.
Videos, Reminders, Notes, and other icons don't completely align to the grid, there is no need to be mean. Plus, the heads are just about as aligned as the Contacts icon.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Let me know what you guys think of this below, and whether you will download this when it goes on Cydia for free. Thanks for reading!
Why do you think 'flat' and 'minimalistic' are interchangeable?

You didn't only flatten the icons, you dumbed them down. An example is the removal of the dashes in the Safari icon.

I like flat but I also like details. Bring back the details.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Why do you think 'flat' and 'minimalistic' are interchangeable?

You didn't only flatten the icons, you dumbed them down. An example is the removal of the dashes in the Safari icon.

I like flat but I also like details. Bring back the details.

I removed detail where I thought it wasn't necessary. Safari is one of the more extreme cases of this.
I also explicitly stated that I was aiming for the same simplicity used in the icons found in Settings and Siri. In some cases that means removing small details from the image to achieve that more minimalistic appearance.

If you don't like the icons, don't download them.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
I've been working on a Camera redesign; what do you think I could change to improve it?
LnKos4U.png

With parts of the Grid System overlaid:
bp9d6sg.png

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I hate the new logo of Game center, why does it have bubbles on it?

Because that's the app's interface, representing groups/circles of gamers.

----------

Podcasts - I think an overall redesign is required for the icon, so I'll have a think about what I could do with it...

Currently the rings have almost the same visual weight as the person's head. I'd lighten them up to give more of a visual difference.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Currently the rings have almost the same visual weight as the person's head. I'd lighten them up to give more of a visual difference.

It shall be done. Currently the icon is just the Game Center icon with a person rather than a dart, so a design tweak is required.

I'm interested as to what Apple will do with it. Will they stick with the same design as before like Find my Friends, or will they change it completely like Voice Memos?

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Is there a way to get these icons on the phone?

Not until it's jailbroken.
There was a way before where for some of the icons (including some App Store ones) you could use a Web App shortcut to 'link' you to the app. However, despite that feature being there since the very early days of iOS, Apple removed it in iOS 7 beta 5.

What you're actually seeing in these screenshots is just a page of completely useless, blank Web Apps.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Update 10 is done, with a few new icons as well as a refreshed camera icon. Enjoy!

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Update 10:
  • New icons:
    - AirPort Utility
    - Tweetbot (based on upcoming icon update)
    - 4oD
  • Updated icons:
    - Camera has gone under a complete redesign.
    - Facebook has been tweaked to make the 'f' taller, like it should be.
    - Flickr has been tweaked to better fit the Grid System.

Let me know what you guys think of this below, and whether you will download this when it goes on Cydia for free. Thanks for reading!

Love the new camera icon.

One thing that didn't really bother me before, but kind of does now, is the voice memos icon. It looks a little fat and bulbous, but that's just my critique.

Do you think you could mock up a tumblr and netflix icon?

I seriously love this theme (only iOS 7 reimagine that I like) and can't wait to download it!

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Love the new camera icon.

One thing that didn't really bother me before, but kind of does now, is the voice memos icon. It looks a little fat and bulbous, but that's just my critique.

Do you think you could mock up a tumblr and netflix icon?

I seriously love this theme (only iOS 7 reimagine that I like) and can't wait to download it!

Thanks!
Yep, I'll get those icons done for you over the weekend, and I'll have a look over Voice Memos as well.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
I've decided to re-render ALL of the icons. The icons will still be made on MS Paint at high resolution (512*512), but the scaling will now be handled by GIMP so that the edges look MUCH smoother (edges on shapes, especially circles, will look much less pixelated).

The next update will focus on these smoothing improvements, as well as include a few new icons (Tumblr and Netflix were requested). Look out for that in the next few days.

Last edited:

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Sup,
I've finished rendering all the icons again, and I'm just putting the finishing touches on for showing them tomorrow. In the process, I made a few changes to some of the icons to ensure they properly fit the Grid System. Most notably, Messages has had it's bubble made smaller as before the icon didn't fit the grid in any way (why did Apple design it like that?).

I've also had the chance to make two new icons: Dropbox and Tumblr. I'm still working on some other icons like Netflix and Google Maps, so expect them some time soon.

Basically, look out for another update tomorrow.

Thanks.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
This is how Apple should have made the icons to begin with! Loving the icons, I'll download this theme for sure when we get a JB for iOS 7!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.