Coming over from Verizon... Pre ordering help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rucc22, Jun 13, 2010.

1. rucc22 macrumors member

So i am currently in a contract with verizon. i have 2 lines. i want to pre-order 2 phones on the 15th. Does anyone know what i have to do in order to get my lines over? can i pre-order 2 phones? if i have them sent to my house, how do i set them up and get the numbers off verizon? any help with this would be appreciated.

2. McBeats macrumors 6502a

3. LocoMoco macrumors member

This should help

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=1574#tab3

I switched over from Verizon almost 2 years ago. I went into At&t to get the 3G and they "ported" over my number from Verizon. Verizon sent me my final bill and that was that. Simple. I didn't even have to call VZ to cancel my service. They did it all. Except pay my last bill.

4. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I'm coming over from Verizon, but I've done this before. Last time the 3g came out, I switched from Verizon, but I went and waited in line at the At&t store. All I did was buy the phone, come home and set it up through iTunes. I was a breeze.

I cannot remember all the details, but you basically port your number over. I believe if you pre-order, it would be done online when you pre-order, or maybe when you actually get the phone and do it online? I'm sorry I'm not much help. I do know that you don't even have to call Verizon to tell them because once your number gets ported over, it closes your Verizon account ( unless you have more than one line on Verizon ).

5. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

I called two days ago to check whether or not my numbers would be available to be ported. Unfortunately, after phone calls back and forth with Verizon and AT&T...it seems my numbers are not able to be ported. Stinks, because I've had these two numbers for 7 years...that's my only regret about leaving verizon.

You may want to call or check online to see if your numbers are able to Port

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/transfer-your-number/

6. MickeyDaClamp macrumors newbie

I am actually doing the same thing: creating a family plan on AT&T with two other people (only one more iPhone on the plan, though).

I went into an AT&T store not an hour ago and asked all these questions out of curiosity and they said that you can pre-order one iPhone per number and that the service agreement(s) will not be activated until you go in and get the phones (provided you chose to pick them up in store instead of having them delivered to your house. They also said they would hold them for 5 days before they had to put them back into inventory.

I hope this answers your questions!

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I did this last year so I may be able to help. I pre ordered the phone from Apple and had it shipped to where I work. I then took the phone to the local ATT store and had it activated, where they took care of porting over my Verizon number etc. I was in and out of the store in less than 10 minutes.

I should warn you, since you are coming from Verizon, that there will be something like a $10.00 or more charge for porting your number. Also Verizon will stick it to you big time if there is anything left on your contract with them. The amount will depend on how much is still owed. This will come as a last bill from them in about a month or so later.

Have a great time with your new phone. I'm upgrading to the iPhone also. It means another 2 years with ATT, but I have found them to be no worse and in many ways better to deal with then Verizon. My coverage here in east central Illinois is as every bit as good as Verizon and the 3G service is faster.

8. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I did forget to say if you are porting your number over you will need your Verizon account number. I did not know this the first time I got my 3g, so I was glad I had my phone that could get on the internet to log onto My Verizon to get my account number.

9. rucc22 thread starter macrumors member

i wonder if i pre order 2 phones i can pick them up myself? or do i need 2 people? lol. this is gonna be a headache. i can tell. they are both going to be on my new plan. i just dont know if u are going to be able to pre order 2 on the same line...... uggghhhhh

10. rucc22 thread starter macrumors member