Coming to the Mac Platform!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SRLMJ23, Dec 11, 2010.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

While I'll admit I always be a Windows guy I am finally getting a Macbook Pro for Christmas and am looking forward to learning the Mac OSX Operating System.

I'm just looking for some advice on maybe some things I should know about the Mac. I've NEVER used one so I will truly be a rookie.

Any help & suggestions would be great. Thanks guys!

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Looking at your sig you certainly have a lot of other Apple products ;) One thing you'll notice is that your new MacBook Pro will interact with your existing apple devices (iPhone etc) much better than your Windows PC.

I have a 13" MacBook Pro and I love it!

3. RugerPilot345 macrumors newbie

I too am a brand new MacBook Pro user.......i've been a PC guy for many many years......and I guess an ole dog can learn new tricks but it sure is tough!! I'll follow this thread and see if any cool tips are thrown out to the crowd!!

4. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

same here Thinkpad user now for half a year use this mbp love it but miss WIN too so I add VMware and WIN 7 and what ever not work with mac work on WIN.
    just think useing WIN with trackpad mac.

5. RAWphenom, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2010

RAWphenom macrumors member

OP, congrats man.... i hope to get an MBP sometime, but my poor college student budget won't allow it right now :( haha

6. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Thanks RAW, I am so excited to get it, I used to be so anti-Apple then in 2007 everything changed with the introduction of the first iPhone. I got that and it changed my view on Apple. Then I got every iPhone since, an Apple TV, 3 iPods (1 iPod classic, 2 iPod Touches 2nd & 4th Generation.) and an iPad.

Apple's designs and performance are second to none AND their customer service is also second to none. They replaced my iPhone 3GS three times and on the third one they shipped me a brand new one in the box.

7. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

8. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I took the plunge in August without even trying one out, mad as that sounds for a £1500 laptop.
    I just knew I`d had enough of windows (even win7) after 10 years and didn`t fancy Linux so I just ordered the base MBP 15" and have not looked back since.
    Jump in, the waters lovely :)

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

As a relatively recent entrant into the Mac world, my add-on to the conversation would be to hold off on the gazillion little helper/customization applications or tweaks that are out there. Spend time with the system as designed for a while to really get familiar with what you like or dislike before making any significant changes.

10. US Marine macrumors member

US Marine

^^this^^

I'm a new Mac user too, and after playing around fr a couple of weeks I've gotta say the OS is absolutely beautiful. It's simple, yet powerful! I saw a video from a couple of years ago about the Automator and all the crazy stuff it can do, and it made my jaw drop!

11. InfinitySquared macrumors member

I'd actually recommend against a Christmas purchase of the pro. There's going to be a refresh sometime early next year, and by all appearances it's going to be a significant one.

If you're stuck to this timeframe, I would actually recommend the air, but if you can wait: I think you'll be happy with the improvement.

12. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

This is a rumor. Not necessarily a fact. The update could be tomorrow for all we know. I'd say to get it and enjoy it. Don't spend your time waiting for the latest and greatest thing because if you do, you'll be waiting forever.

13. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I second this advice. No need to hold off on your christmas gift. your first mac will probably not be your last. so get one now and love it. in a few years when there's been vast improvements you can consider an upgrade. my experience though is, people tend to keep their macs for much much longer than PC users do.

14. InfinitySquared macrumors member

It may be rumor in the sense that there has been no official statement by Apple to back it up, but that doesn't mean it has any less credibility.

The bottom line is that Apple follows a somewhat regular update schedule. There's a section of this site you can check to see the average length of the cycle for the MBPs.

As it so happens, we're somewhat overdue.

As it also happens, the current lineup of MBPs are using rather archaic technology, and frankly aren't very good buys right now. The reason why Apple is unlikely to announce an update before Christmas is because it's rather clear that they're trying to push the Air for Christmas season.

Thus, the most logical time period within which to expect an update is early next year.

Computers are an expensive investment, and it doesn't make sense to purchase a device using technology that is nearing hte end of its lifespan. Especially when this device will be purchased for the same or similar price to a device that will likely be significantly better, and will be released shortly.

AND if you don't need a modern computer, you should consider getting something besides the pro, which is supposed to be distinguished from the rest of the Apple lineup by its high-performance.

The bottom line is, the pro lineup will offer significantly higher performance soon. That's not bad advice. It would be ba advice if we were in the middle of a product cycle. We're not. It's been a while since the last update.

Last piece of advice: If you're unwilling to wait, and you also have high-performance requirements, you just might be better of going with a laptop by another manufacturer. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple's products, both the OS and the hardware, but they're feeling just a little bit dated right now.

15. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Oh man, let dude enjoy his gift! Sheesh, not everyone needs the latest and greatest...