Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Okes

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
North Devon, UK
I've bought the app store version and have been enjoying playing through the levels again, but it feels like I'm too close to the action. Is there anyway to zoom out (away) further? I think I found a way with the windows version by editing one of the settings file but I don't know if this is possible on the mac app store version?
Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
I've bought the app store version and have been enjoying playing through the levels again, but it feels like I'm too close to the action. Is there anyway to zoom out (away) further? I think I found a way with the windows version by editing one of the settings file but I don't know if this is possible on the mac app store version?

This is a hot topic of conversation at the office right now. As you pointed out, the Windows and Mac versions are identical BUT users are complaining that our new version is zoomed in. Its not, but C&C was always zoomed in and gamer's seem to remember it differently.

To your point, yes its possible to change the INI file to zoom out BUT that introduces rendering bugs. It also introduces rendering bugs on Windows, and we've spent weeks trying to fix that. It appears as though the original devs did it for a reason. Still trying to figure out what that is exactly. :apple:

Reactions: johnnyturbouk

Okes

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
North Devon, UK
This is a hot topic of conversation at the office right now. As you pointed out, the Windows and Mac versions are identical BUT users are complaining that our new version is zoomed in. Its not, but C&C was always zoomed in and gamer's seem to remember it differently.

To your point, yes its possible to change the INI file to zoom out BUT that introduces rendering bugs. It also introduces rendering bugs on Windows, and we've spent weeks trying to fix that. It appears as though the original devs did it for a reason. Still trying to figure out what that is exactly. :apple:

Thanks for your answer, I'm not really complaining or I hope not ;) Maybe it just feels too confined on a 27" iMac, but maybe we were all playing on 15" screens back in those days and it seemed like the right size then?!

Good luck with finding a solution that works.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Thanks for your answer, I'm not really complaining or I hope not ;) Maybe it just feels too confined on a 27" iMac, but maybe we were all playing on 15" screens back in those days and it seemed like the right size then?!

Good luck with finding a solution that works.

Haha, thanks for the support! Your not complaining at all! However, a quick look at the MAS reviews, and our support logs reveal a subset of folks that SWEAR we have nerfed this re-release. We've taken to sending them side by side screen shots. Its working...kind of ;)

PM me if you would like to know the ini file to mess with.

applebutter

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
Haha, thanks for the support! Your not complaining at all! However, a quick look at the MAS reviews, and our support logs reveal a subset of folks that SWEAR we have nerfed this re-release. We've taken to sending them side by side screen shots. Its working...kind of ;)

PM me if you would like to know the ini file to mess with.

Incoming p.m.

Thanks
AB

alfadelta

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2014

hey bud check this out

Locate the game in your "Programs" folder
Right click on it and select "Show Package Contents"
Move to "Contents/GameData/Generals Data/Data/INI"
Open "GameCenterWindowTransitions.ini" in a text editor
And i mean a text editor. Not Word, or something. Use TextEdit or Sublime or Textmate.
Add the following lines:

GameData
MaxCameraHeight = 600.0
MinCameraHeight = 20.0
END

You can customize the values to your needs, but I think these are quite good.
Save the file (you will be prompted to allow this, using your system user password)
Start the game and enjoy!
The setting is automatically activated and you should see the difference already in the main menu background.

taken from http://ccgenerals.supflux.de/

just tried it and it works on imac 27 retina display

applebutter

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
hey bud check this out

And i mean a text editor. Not Word, or something. Use TextEdit or Sublime or Textmate.
Add the following lines:

GameData
MaxCameraHeight = 600.0
MinCameraHeight = 20.0
END

Save the file (you will be prompted to allow this, using your system user password)
The setting is automatically activated and you should see the difference already in the main menu background.

Excellent! Great pov thanks!

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ
Windows vs. Mav Versions

I'm confused... I just realized that I purchased C&C ZH through one of the Humble Origin Bundles, but Origin only shows it as a Windows game. What's with that?

applebutter

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
I'm confused... I just realized that I purchased C&C ZH through one of the Humble Origin Bundles, but Origin only shows it as a Windows game. What's with that?

You can buy the game from the app store and play it on your Mac natively.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012

As far as I know it is a Mac App Store exclusive. I don't think you can get the new Mac version anywhere else.

----------

hey bud check this out

Add the following lines:

GameData
MaxCameraHeight = 600.0
MinCameraHeight = 20.0
END

It would be interesting to hear back after you've been playing for a while if you run into any of the issues mentioned above with rendering bugs, etc. having changed this file. See Aspyr-Blair's comment above if you haven't already.

I tossed your instructions into EverNote for future reference by the way. Thanks.

Last edited:

Eddy050

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2015
Tried the Shockwave mod with the App Store version and it works!

Last edited:

R3m3dyman

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2015
Hi Guys,

I have updated the file to read

WindowTransition GameCenterGameOptionsFade
Window
WinName = GameCenterGameOptionsMenu.wnd:GadgetParent
Style = FULLFADE
FrameDelay = 0
END
FireOnce = Yes
END
GameData
MaxCameraHeight = 2000.0
MinCameraHeight = 10.0
END

however, what ever settings i change, nothing happens.
What am i doing wrong, even the default figures do nothing.

Thanks in advance

dioxine

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2015
Yosemite 10.10.4. Zero Hour works perfectly, thanx TPG and shafez!
Anyone knows is there any ability to use native resolution (for me 1680x1050)? i can see 1280x960 is maximum in the game.
EDITED:
Ok, i've just found it. All you need is to edit options.ini in User Data folder

Last edited:

Marcovich

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2015
Hello guys,

I've have had a long session, to get it to work on my MBP with OS X 10.10.5. So I decided to make a easy to do post here, for you guys all, who get stuck at any step, to get C&C G and C&C ZH to work.

Instructions:
  1. Install Command & Conquer Generals
    • Copy the "Command & Conquer Generals" folder into the "Macintosh HD/Applications/" folder as usual mac install process
  2. Install Zero Hour
  3. Run patch 1.0.4 to update for native intel support and improve network communication
  4. Open Finder and navigate to Macintosh HD/Applications/Command & Conquer Generals/Zero Hour/
  5. Do right click on Zero Hour.app and choose "Show package content"
  6. Navigate to /Contents/MacOS
  7. Rename the file "Zero Hour" to "Zero Hour_bin"
  8. Copy the following files to the open folder, where we just renamed the file:
    • OpenTransport (I've uploaded a version of it at mega: OpenTransport (317 KB))
    • Zero Hour (I've uploaded a version of it at mega, too: Zero Hour (191 B))
      • This is a auto executeable python file with the following content:
      • cd "$(dirname "$0")" ;
      • DYLD_FORCE_FLAT_NAMESPACE=1 DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES=/Applications/Command\ \&\ Conquer\ Generals/Zero\ Hour/Zero\ Hour.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenTransport ./Zero\ Hour_bin ;
      • You can prove the contents of this file with cat "Zero Hour" in Terminal.
Congratulations, you are done. You can now launch the game as usual.

Okay hope this helps to run that great game on Mac OS X Yosemite :)

Kind regards,

Marcovich

Last edited:

starfury_de

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2016
Hello,

after the last Security Update 2016-002 for MacOS 10.9.5 Mavericks I run also into this error:

Code:
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _gliCreateContextWithShared
  Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources/GLEngine.bundle/GLEngine
  Expected in: flat namespace

After a few tries I got Zero Hour working again by applying a patch to the Mavericks Patch regarding OpenTransport.

Here is my edited "Zero Hour" script:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python

def main():
    import os
    path = os.path.dirname(os.path.realpath(__file__))
    command='DYLD_FORCE_FLAT_NAMESPACE=1 DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES="/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources/GLEngine.bundle/GLEngine":"{0}/OpenTransport" "{0}/Zero Hour_bin"'.format(path)
    import subprocess
    subprocess.call(command, shell=True)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

Maybe it works for other guys also.

Regards,
Alexander

Blogger52

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2014
Hello,

after the last Security Update 2016-002 for MacOS 10.9.5 Mavericks I run also into this error:

Code:
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _gliCreateContextWithShared
  Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources/GLEngine.bundle/GLEngine
  Expected in: flat namespace

After a few tries I got Zero Hour working again by applying a patch to the Mavericks Patch regarding OpenTransport.

Here is my edited "Zero Hour" script:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python

def main():
    import os
    path = os.path.dirname(os.path.realpath(__file__))
    command='DYLD_FORCE_FLAT_NAMESPACE=1 DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES="/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources/GLEngine.bundle/GLEngine":"{0}/OpenTransport" "{0}/Zero Hour_bin"'.format(path)
    import subprocess
    subprocess.call(command, shell=True)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

Maybe it works for other guys also.

Regards,
Alexander
When I try to apply ZH patch I get the message "The package you are installing is not compatible with this version of MacOS.Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."
My system is MacOS Sierra.
Any help ?

fotmasta

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2017
Berkeley
I have Zero Hour running with El Capitan 10.11.6
Using the python script plus two libraries
Here's the contents of ../../Contents/MacOS

OpenGL.framework
OpenTransport
Zero Hour
Zero Hour_bin

I'll play a multiplayer LAN game and see how that goes. We used to get MISMATCH errors 1 out of every 12 games.

fotmasta

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2017
Berkeley
Not working in Sierra 10.12.4

DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: _gliCreateContextWithShared

Soxxx34

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018
hey bud check this out

Add the following lines:

GameData
MaxCameraHeight = 600.0
MinCameraHeight = 20.0
END

I tried that but it tells me it’s locked
[doublepost=1532555535][/doublepost]And I have to make duplicate

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.