Command Button Operation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by moved2mac, Jan 24, 2009.

1. moved2mac macrumors newbie

Moved to mac 2 days back.
    But i have some issue. The Left Command button when pressed is working as the way the expose' works. I want to use this command button for executing various other commands like( New tab, new window etc). But when i click on this Command button the screeen is shown as thumbnails and i was not getting the desired functionality of the Command button.. com+T, com+N etc.
    How do i make the command button work for the combination commands?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hi and welcome. :) The simplest answer might be that you accidentally set it in system preferences this way. Try opening system preferences and then Expose & Spaces and see how the keys are set there. You can then set the activation of Expose back to the normal function key, or as you like.

[​IMG]

If that doesn't work, then it's also possible the issue is arising because you're using the wrong keyboard profile for your keyboard (although I've never heard of it causing this particular problem).

Cheers!

3. moved2mac thread starter macrumors newbie

I have my system preferences screen showing the same as yours ,but even though the command button when clicked is causing expose'..
    I am using the new aluminium mac book.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm... do you live in the US and are you using the US keyboard layout, or where do you live, and does your keyboard layout setting match your physical keyboard?

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

What for a mac are you using, with which keaboard?

6. moved2mac thread starter macrumors newbie

I live in US and i dont use any external key board. My macbook is 13.3 inch aluminuim one. Now saying that how do i set the profile for key board.
    thanks,
    srini

7. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Go to Preferences and Keyboard/Mouse see what the command button is associated with.

Attached Files:

8. moved2mac thread starter macrumors newbie

As suggested i checked on the Keyboard short cuts. I dont see any short cut associated with the single key 'Command button".
    Infact there are combinations with command button.
    So when the commadn buttotn is pressed to use the other combination key, the short cut doesnt work.

Just the command key alone is working as short cut for expose'
    How to remove that...

9. gbigd macrumors newbie

It's been a while, you must have moved on with life by now..
    I came to this thread via google while seeking help for similar weird problem I got with my macbook pro. Since there is no answer in this thread..I thought may be I will drop a hint on what worked for me. Since in preference -> Expose & Spaces window, shortcut for spaces was still F9 key...Hence I first assigned left command key intentionally to spaces..and as expected it was same as before..then assigned right command key and checked and it was as expected..Lastly I assigned back F9 to spaces and checked my command keys...Voila, problem is gone for me!! Weird haa :confused: