Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

austriker27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
so back in the day, i had a windows and i gamed it up with red alert 2 quite a bit. is there anyway to play red alert 2 on my mac? i have vista with parallels but it has not worked when i have tried to get it right. should i use cider? or any other suggestions... i might jsut buy generals for mac

macbook specs:
intel duo 2 2.16 GHz
1 gb ram
gma 950 graphics card
160 gb hd

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
so back in the day, i had a windows and i gamed it up with red alert 2 quite a bit. is there anyway to play red alert 2 on my mac? i have vista with parallels but it has not worked when i have tried to get it right. should i use cider? or any other suggestions... i might jsut buy generals for mac

macbook specs:
intel duo 2 2.16 GHz
1 gb ram
gma 950 graphics card
160 gb hd

RA2 should work in Parallel's since the game itself is pretty old (all things considered) so it might be a vista problem. If you use XP it just might work.

I have almost all the CC games (actually have all the old ones for sure) and I can try it after work tomorrow. I don't have Parallel's I have VMWare but realistically they should act the same. I'm pretty sure it's a vista issue running RA2 but don't quote me. I can install both Vista and XP (MSDN License so I have access to all MS OS's) and I'm actually thinking of tinkering more with Parallels since I'll be getting a copy of it soon and ditching VMWare (don't ask why) but we'll see

I had no problem running Baldur's Gate 2 in VMWare and I know that game is more new than RA2.

austriker27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
sweet. thanks man. yea i really should have bought xp rather than vista b/c i am mostly using it for gaming.. dumb mistake. well maybe red alert 2 doesnt work b/c it is too old??

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
sweet. thanks man. yea i really should have bought xp rather than vista b/c i am mostly using it for gaming.. dumb mistake. well maybe red alert 2 doesnt work b/c it is too old??

That's my thought. You can however try this (if I don't see how it works in XP first) do a properties on the RA2 exe and set the 'compatibility mode' to Windows XP. That's one feature in Vista I actually do like, but it's a 'workaround' that shouldn't be needed.

I'm nabbing my disks now so I don't forget to install it afterwork (gotta shake dust off them LOL)

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga

Well, as I suspected, it ran just fine in an XP virtual machine.

It might be a vista thing /shrug

MAN did it bring back memories!!! I even busted out my Tiberian Sun disks too.. I like the NOD/GDI story line better than the Yuri/US/Soviet story line.

CC
CC RA
CC RA2
CC TS
CC Renegade

I can't find my expansions for the above games, I was pretty sure I had them, but probably not :(

austriker27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
oh wow i cant wait to play it. hopefully it will work in vista. unfortunately my discs are at home (im at college) so i have to convince my parents that i am studying so they will send me my computer games...

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I have a Windows 2000 image on VMWare Fusion, and it's great for running the old Command & Conquer stuffs. :)

supertramp

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2008
...it says can't detect DX sound object during installation but I think that shouldn't be the main problem right because there is an option to continue installing.

Well actually the program gets installed after I continued but it doesn't play when I clicked play now :(. Could it have something to do with my settings somewhere you think? I'm a newbie.

I have an MBP, 2.4Ghz and Bootcamp Windows XP Pro.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
...it says can't detect DX sound object during installation but I think that shouldn't be the main problem right because there is an option to continue installing.

Well actually the program gets installed after I continued but it doesn't play when I clicked play now :(. Could it have something to do with my settings somewhere you think? I'm a newbie.

I have an MBP, 2.4Ghz and Bootcamp Windows XP Pro.

Try going to the virtual machine settings, check graphics and enable the accelerated graphics. Don't ask why, but it enabled directx 9 and I know that's advanced beyond CCTS but maybe it'll help.

My installation was pretty vanilla and uneventful. I didn't even get that error you mention. Also I haven't even run any xp updates either, all it has is standard sp2 which it came with from the ISO image.

Lemme know how it goes. Also, I used the NOD disk to do the install, unsure if that makes a difference. I also applied the CCTS patch... 2.0.6 I think? I can screenshot the game running but I'm sure you believe me.

Good luck, post back when you get a chance.

austriker27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
hey kkat.. so my dad cant find my disks =( so i might not be able to install for about 3 weeks. hopefully you can check back then and help me if i got problems

supertramp

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2008
hi kkat,

what do you mean, "Try going to the virtual machine settings, check graphics and enable the accelerated graphics. "?

i'm still not able to play CCTS.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
hi kkat,

what do you mean, "Try going to the virtual machine settings, check graphics and enable the accelerated graphics. "?

i'm still not able to play CCTS.

Sorry Misread, we (OP and I) were chatting about Virtualization and Red Alert/Westwood games. Sorry I didn't see the 'bootcamp' part.

But to answer the bootcamp, xp, CCTS question. Mine is working just fine, just running XPSP2, with the Bootcamp drivers and the ati catalyst drivers.

hawkeye9935

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
So, just joining this discussion mid-stride here but bigandy had said he runs win2000 image on VMWare Fusion. Question (possibly very stupid), are you running that on a mac? I'm looking at acquiring VMWare for the sole purpose of playing CC:RA and I wouldn't mind a bit more detail on how you set that sort of thing up.

Thanks

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
So, just joining this discussion mid-stride here but bigandy had said he runs win2000 image on VMWare Fusion. Question (possibly very stupid), are you running that on a mac? I'm looking at acquiring VMWare for the sole purpose of playing CC:RA and I wouldn't mind a bit more detail on how you set that sort of thing up.

Thanks
Yah, if he said "VMWare Fusion" then that's a Mac software. Win2k inside VMWare Fusion.

However, Crossover Games plays pretty much all the old CC games. It's cheaper that VMWare and a Windows License (assuming you probably already had a windows license) then it's a matter of it being less resource crazy.

Check Here for tips and tricks

I've gotten a few running, it's not the greatest but it's a thought. You can download a trial and try it out and decide which is better VMWare or Crossover.

hawkeye9935

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Yah, if he said "VMWare Fusion" then that's a Mac software. Win2k inside VMWare Fusion.

However, Crossover Games plays pretty much all the old CC games. It's cheaper that VMWare and a Windows License (assuming you probably already had a windows license) then it's a matter of it being less resource crazy.

Check Here for tips and tricks

I've gotten a few running, it's not the greatest but it's a thought. You can download a trial and try it out and decide which is better VMWare or Crossover.

Yeah, I've tried the trial version but I don't see CC:RA in the list of programs when the program launches (I'm assuming you have to buy the full version to be able to run that specific game?) i try to run it as an unsupported program but when I launch the installer it tells me that I'm running windows 5.1 (i think) and it needs windows 95 (that's the CC:RA version I'm trying to run).

UPDATE: I found my old copy of win95 and tried VMWare Fusion out. I successfully installed the game and it runs ok but I couldn't get the sound set up and the screen is very zoomed in. Oh, yes, I could only get the game to work as the DOS version.

If anyone feels like helping my sorry arse, I would still appreciate it!

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Yeah, I've tried the trial version but I don't see CC:RA in the list of programs when the program launches (I'm assuming you have to buy the full version to be able to run that specific game?) i try to run it as an unsupported program but when I launch the installer it tells me that I'm running windows 5.1 (i think) and it needs windows 95 (that's the CC:RA version I'm trying to run).

UPDATE: I found my old copy of win95 and tried VMWare Fusion out. I successfully installed the game and it runs ok but I couldn't get the sound set up and the screen is very zoomed in. Oh, yes, I could only get the game to work as the DOS version.

If anyone feels like helping my sorry arse, I would still appreciate it!

Not every game they support will be in that list. Not all games are 'fully supported' so yah, you gotta do 'unsupported installation' but visit that website and look for the game you want to run, click on it, look for the tips/tricks tab or forums tab. That page and the links on that page are the best place for help. I have all the old CC games and I've tried all of them and they all work so not sure what to tell yah, but read on and keep trying.

Wineskinlover

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.