Command & Conquer, Red Alert type game

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by David H, Dec 8, 2009.

1. David H macrumors newbie

Hi,
    back in the day (mid 90s) I used to play the original Command and Conquer and subsequently Red Alert on windows. Years later a friend got Command & Conquer Generals, which I wasn't particularly keen on - it didn't seem to have the simple playability of the earlier games.

Anyway, I'm now looking for something similar for the mac - i.e. a simple build a base and army game with good playability and a good online community (i'm really only interested in multiplayer play). I've been on the applestore website and seen 3 C&C titles, with varying reviews. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions, doesn't have to be from the C&C franchise.

Cheers,
    David

PS I have a 2GHz intel MacBook with 2 gigs of ram

2. fcamilleri macrumors member

red alert 3.
    starcraft.
    warcraft 3.
    age of empires 2/3

theres a few more, methinks.

3. 92jlee macrumors 6502

Command and Conquer 3 is really good - cant get the expansion for mac though!
    Starwars empire at war is good
    I have a freeware starcraft type game on my iMac at home, I'll let you know what its called later.
    If you want some random fun games - world of goo is strangely addictive!

you could just install a windows partition with XP - it takes me maybe a minute to swap between os's and I have supreme commander running (amazing rts game!) along with a bunch of old c&c games.

Nothing will beat RA2 though! - I have that as an app that runs WINE or something and it just works under os x

4. psingh01 macrumors 65816

This type of game is called "Real Time Strategy". There are lots but mostly on Windows. The Blizzard games are great and available on Mac even though they're now old (yet still cost the same price as when new!)

5. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Supreme Commander is very simple, yet one can micromanage the battle. I believe you can have up to 1000 units as well?

6. eleven2brett macrumors regular

I love this game, but saying that it is a resource hog is an understatement. Runs well on my MBP in windows though.