Command+Delete not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crash Davis, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Crash Davis macrumors member

I can't find anything else on here about this, but I've tried several external keyboards with my new MacBook Pro (including the latest Apple) and Command+Delete doesn't work with any of them.

It works fine using the notebook keyboard.

I've reset the key combos to default several times. Nothing. Other key combinations that I use all work. And the command key and delete key each work for other things.

I'm completely stumped. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

2. Crash Davis thread starter macrumors member

So, I guess I'm the only person this has happened to...haha.

3. Crash Davis thread starter macrumors member

In case anyone finds this post in the future, I discovered that Command+Backspace does the same thing and is still functional with my external keyboard.

Still no clue why Command+Delete doesn't work.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Because it uses the "backspace" delete key on the Mac keyboards? It's just called "delete" on Mac keyboards. It's the backspace key everywhere else. Delete on other keyboards is what's called "forward delete" on Mac keyboards.

5. Crash Davis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Kill. That makes sense, except for the part above where I mentioned I tried an Apple keyboard. Same results. :(

This isn't my first Mac, and I always use a Windows external keyboard. I've never seen this before. It's very strange.

6. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Exactly. On my 2.2GHz blackbook and Bluetooth wireless aluminum keyboards, fn+delete does "forward delete" (same as the "delete[x>" on my wired aluminum keyboard). The Mac delete key does "backward delete" (what a "backspace <---" key does on a Windows keyboard).

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

8. Crash Davis thread starter macrumors member

I hope the last two posts were meant as a joke.

9. Wardrop macrumors newbie

An old thread, I know, but I don't care. I just want to thank Crash Davis for asking this question. I just assumed it was just another one of those interoperability bugs that would be a waste of time to ask, but the answer turns out to be relatively logical. It still doesn't explain why the delete key on a MacBook keyboard behaves exactly like the delete key on a PC keyboard in all other contexts (such as when typing, etc).