Command key popped out... after 1 week

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ljones, Aug 21, 2011.

1. ljones macrumors regular

This is beyond odd, my right Command key popped out. Given this is a key I rarely use, and I wasn't using the key when this occurred, this makes me a bit uneasy as to what to expect from this keyboard. The key snaps back in, but if you press the left corner, pops right out again. I don't see anything in there.

The illuminated keys should be easy to see on all keys, but both command keys, space bar, delete, tab, return and caps lock do not easily show the light.

I'll take my laptop in tomorrow, hopefully they can easily fix this without taking too much apart.

Now, I have another 2011 macbook pro here, and you can clearly see the difference.

Has anyone ran across the before? Took about 4 years until my wireless keyboard popped a key.

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I'm trying to find out why you created the thread if you're going to take it in? What are we supposed to talk about here?

3. ljones thread starter macrumors regular

So the store will need to order a new top, one week, then another week until its replaced... WTF?

Called APple Care... they advised me to take it to a place nearby. They gave me two repair shops in Rhode Island since I'm out of town for a few weeks.

So.. removing the keyboard in a new mac... or should i just return the damn thing and get another one?

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Just buy the single key off of eBay or something and install it yourself?

5. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

I would definitely swap it out for another MacBook as it's inside return policy.

6. ljones thread starter macrumors regular

They are giving me some BS about... "generally we try to make 3 attempts at repairs"

WTF? Its brand new! I wish i took pictures of the thing when i took it out the box. I'm certain this keyboard was not like this. Which worries me given the current state. They're shipping the box, which should be here tomorrow.

The rep that is handling my case was great, i'll give them that much. They are working to resolve this, but don;t give me no BS about lets fix xy and z. Drop $2500 on something and have it be a defect... not too many people will say glue it back and I'm satisfied.

Ish happens, thats life. I need this machine to work while I'm out of town... hence the purpose for buying it. My data is on my time capsule... now I wait. I guess i can play around with ideas on my iPad until my mac returns. Using my work mac is a "no, no" for my own work. So I'm basically idle for a week.

Whats funny, they said 10 days to ship a new one, yet I ordered mine and received the new one in about 5 days directly from China.

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Well generally speaking, shipping is a lot quicker than shipping a box, Getting the machine back and shipping a new one.

But yet I feel your pain. I would definitely have just refunded the machine gotten a new one that you needed that badly.