Command keys

kenglade07

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2013
Is there anyone who can tell me why my command keys are not working on my new iMac running 10.9?

Specifically:

Command N is =not=opening a new document

Command C is =not= copying

Command V is =not= pasting

To open a new document I have to got to File>Open new document
To copy and paste i have to right click with my mouse

I have not been able to find solutions on the web. Surely, I can't be the only one with these issues.

kenglade07

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2013
Maybe the left command key is broken. Try the right one.
Nope. Get the same response with the right command key. When i use command C I get a lower case letter C with a squiggly attached. French?

Comment

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
You might check SystemPreferences/Keyboard, Keyboard tab and hit ModifierKeys button. Make sure all entries are correct ... or simply press the "Restore Defaults" button.

Comment

DeltaMac

macrumors G4
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, the C with the "squiggly" is what you get pressing Option/alt-c.
Are you sure you are pressing the command key, and not Option/alt?

This could also happen as the default, if you are not using the Apple keyboard, but using a Windows keyboard (with a Windows key). The command key on a Windows keyboard would be the Windows key, unless you do change it in the settings.

Comment

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Is there anyone who can tell me why my command keys are not working on my new iMac running 10.9?

Specifically:

Command N is =not=opening a new document

Command C is =not= copying

Command V is =not= pasting

To open a new document I have to got to File>Open new document
To copy and paste i have to right click with my mouse

I have not been able to find solutions on the web. Surely, I can't be the only one with these issues.
Is it a second hand Mac? Someone may have changed the keys functionality, especially if they were a windows user. You can change it in the settings.

Comment

kenglade07

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2013
You might check SystemPreferences/Keyboard, Keyboard tab and hit ModifierKeys button. Make sure all entries are correct ... or simply press the "Restore Defaults" button.
yep, i tried that, too. First, I tried setting up some keys in Keyboard>Shortcut>services but they didn't work. So I restored defaults and that had no effect.

I'm totally stumped. Guess i'll just have to learn to live with it.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

DeltaMac

macrumors G4
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
So… Are you using an Apple-brand keyboard - or some other brand?

If the "Restore Defaults" did not change anything, you could also swap the modifier keys in that same Keyboard/Modifier Keys pane.
(You really don't have to "learn to live with it" - it's incorrect key response, so fix it!)
You should also try your Keyboard & Character Viewer to check if the keyboard keys are mechanically working OK. You can get that in your Language & Text pane/Input Sources tab.

Comment

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
If you create a new user for testing ... does that user account also have the keyboard issues?

If not, it is in your personal environment.

If so, you might want to do a system restore to reload OS X (be sure you have a current backup first).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.