Command - Q Relauncing Finder! For the love of god please help!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by matthemercyless, Apr 13, 2007.

1. matthemercyless macrumors member

OK, for some reason, when I hit Command - Q when in Finder, it causes finder to relaunch.:confused:
    This is the craziest thing I have ever seen. Feel free to heckle me if I have done something stoopid, but really, any comments will do!:)

I've inserted the link to a video, along with my awful commentary, to show you just what is going down people.

If I do it when I have another application open, finder doesn't always relaunch, it sometimes just quits and doesn't show up when I hit Command - Tab.

Tech = 1.67Ghz PB G4, 1.5GB RAM, 80GB HDD 128MB VRAM etc etc:cool:

Let the comments begin!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLwjseR52Ic

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you cant quit finder unless you're using a third party app to do it. (usually)

3. Blubbert macrumors 6502

An app like Onyx will allow you to access the Quit menu item in Finder. If you used an app like Onyx, try running it again and check if you have by chance turned an option like that on.

4. Tommyjolly macrumors member

This thread is pointless really.
    Why would you want to quit finder? It makes no sense...
    Even if you are hitting "command + Q" and your icons dissapear for a second, why do you do it anyway?

What kind of help are you requesting? :p

5. Copland macrumors regular

Copland

Yeah, I'd say not to hit command-Q when you're in Finder.

I actually hit command-q when I'm in finder all the time because I'm confused about what app I have open. It doesn't do anything, which causes me to realize my stupidity and open the app that I want to quit.:eek:

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In your Apple menu, is there a Quit Finder option? If there is, then try opening a terminal window, typing:

defaults write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem -bool no

and then logging out and back in. See if that helps. (Credit: variant of linky.)

7. matthemercyless thread starter macrumors member

Quitting finder

Maybe I didn't describe the problem enough. I mention in the video, but didnt show the real problem.

If I'm using a variety of different apps and ACCIDENTALLY quit finder, I CANNOT get back to it! It doesn't show up when I hit command - tab and everything disappears from the desktop.

So as you can understand, this is not a pointless thread, its a genuine issue and its really pissing me off!:p

Thanks for the useful suggestions so far, when I get a chance, I'm gunna troubleshoot some more.

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Clicking on the Finder icon in the dock should bring it back.

9. FireArse macrumors 6502a

interesting

I can't say I've seen this before - when I try it, nothing happens (as other users have said) so presumably you have something installed to allow you to be able to do this.

Can you even Force Quit the Finder from a keyboard shortcut? Have you seen in you keyboard shortcuts what exactly the command-Q does?

F

10. Tommyjolly macrumors member

Alright, that's a different case. On the video it seems like the finder is just relaunching. I can't do the Command + Q thing, so obviously you must have some kind of hack installed.
    Try the solution mentioned a couple of posts above. It might help ya...