Command-R Disk Repair Failed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by John Greer, Mar 10, 2014.

1. John Greer macrumors member

John Greer

My son's MacBook Pro hung and would not reboot. White screen, then turned off.

Command-R repair got many, many errors - then finally said:
    Error: Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many files as possible, reformat the drive and restore your backed-up files.
    Wouldn't you know it, my son has no backups other than the ones on this damaged disk. Before I format the drive and reinstall Mavericks, how do I get his backup zip file (and as many other data files as I can) off of the damaged HDD and onto my USB flash drive? I do not see any way to mount the drive and copy stuff off...???

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you can't even mount the drive, you are not going to get anything off it.

You might take a shot at something like Disk Warrior.

It sounds like the drive is bad and a format and reinstall is very unlikely to help.

3. John Greer thread starter macrumors member

John Greer

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

You've formatted and restored back to the same HDD??? Thats like dodging a bullet, reloading and having another go....for the sake of the $100 involved I'd never trust the same HDD again, and Son needs a better backup strategy, he might not be so lucky next time.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I also highly recommend that your son embraces a better backup strategy, drives not that expensive but data is ill-replaceable.