Command R

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmmtennis91, Aug 4, 2014.

1. jmmtennis91 macrumors newbie

Good morning all! I've tried to do some research and while I did find some information about command-r on the reboot, I didn't find anything on what exactly is happening to me.

So my computer has been running slow, so I opened up Disk Utility and pressed Verify Disk. After it completed, it told me that the volume was corrupt and to restart the computer and hold down command-r until the Apple logo appears. I did this, and once I let go, it would continue to think for about 10 seconds and then my computer shuts down, and the disk utility never opens.

Any ideas on what's going on and how to fix it?

Thanks!

2. losmediastudios macrumors newbie

I would try holding the "Option" key as soon as your computer is turned on, or restarted. This would launch the "Internet Recovery" option, which will eventually take you Disk Utility. I hope you backed up your information, as I learned the lesson the hard way for not doing so. I wish you the best of luck in recovering your hard drive.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That command-r boot should boot you to the recovery partition on the drive. The fact it won't do that does not bode well for your drive.

Try a boot to Internet recovery by hold command-option-r (all three at once) when you boot. You will be prompted to select a wifi connection then you will see a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads. Once the recovery screen comes up, launch Disk Utility and try to run a repair disk on your drive. What does that tell you?

4. jmmtennis91 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did as you said on "Macintosh HD" and it had a few messages in red and a green as well.

The ones in red: "Volume bitmap needs minor repair for orphaned blocks" and "Invalid volume free block count"

In Green: "The volume Macintosh HD was repaired successfully"

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do it a second time and see if it finds errors again. If it is all clear, hopefully your drive is okay and this was just the result of a bad shutdown or something. But if these Disk Util errors keep happening you may have a disk failure headed your way. I is also possible a bad drive cable is causing this, but that is less common.

Can you boot and run okay now?

6. jmmtennis91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Second time said that the disk was ok! It still appears to be running a little bit slow. Still troubleshooting...

Thanks!