Command + S wont work in any program

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by techmonkey, Nov 24, 2007.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

Command + S is suppose to save a document, but this is not working in any program.

Any ideas why? I didnt remap any keys.

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

You might have installed a new program that also wants to use CMD + S and they have cancelled each other out...

Check out your keyboard shortcuts in system preferances!

Hope this helps!

3. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I dont see CMD + S in the list.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

It's up to the program wether or not it uses that command to save. Yes, it's the convention and 99% of them do, but they don't necessarily have to AFAIK. What program's giving you problems?

5. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Firefox, MS Office 2004, TextEdit, pretty much any program that should save with CMD+S.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Can you still save through the File menus of those apps? Does Command-S appear next to the Save entries in those menus?

7. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, I can use the pull down menu, File->Save. Yes, it also shows the CMD symbol + S next to it.

8. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

UPDATE:

I got it working again. I found the thread below about someone having trouble with Command + C. It turns out I have something in my Login Items called "speechsynthesis server". When I disabled it, Command+S is working again. I have no idea what speechsynthesis server is or how it was added to my Login Items. Any ideas?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5842647

9. teacamper macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. Killing the speech synthesis makes everything work again. A strange note though, I went into Dreamweaver's keyboard shortcut preferences. When I try to enter a custom shortcut, CMD S appears as CMD C. Its like my S key turns into the C key, but only when CMD is held. Strange.