Resolved Command X not working in Finder but works in Safari

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by revmacian, Dec 14, 2018.

1. revmacian macrumors 6502a

revmacian

I was moving some files around and tried to 'cut' (Command+x) a file from one folder and paste (Command+v) it into another folder.

So, in Finder I highlight a file and tried Command+x, but it didn't work. So, I checked the Edit menu and found that the Cut command is grayed out:

Finder-cut.jpg

My first thought was to check to ensure I didn't inadvertently change the Command+x key combo. But, I see that in Safari the Cut command works fine:

Safari-cut.jpg

Cut and paste were what I typically used to move a file in Linux. Does that not work in macOS? What am I doing wrong? Why is the Cut command grayed out in Finder but not in Safari?

My system:
    Mac mini, Late 2014, running macOS Mojave v. 10.14.2
    Apple Magic Keyboard
    Apple Magic Mouse

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Command-X does not work in Finder. To cut and paste in Finder, use Command-C to copy, then Command-Option-V to move the item to the new location.

3. revmacian thread starter macrumors 6502a

revmacian

That worked perfectly, thank you! I'll have to amend my practices accordingly. I wonder why there is a Command+x entry in the Edit menu for Finder if it doesn't work. I'm guessing 'Cut' is a static item for all Edit menus but it's not connected to anything where Finder is concerned.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just one of those little Apple idiosyncrasies, I suppose.

5. Toggie101 macrumors newbie

Toggie101

You can use the Finder's 'Cut' command (cmd-x) while renaming files/folders, so it does have a legitimate use.

6. revmacian thread starter macrumors 6502a

revmacian

Aha! Thank you for that.