Command_R and Option_R giving same key codes

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JuDGe3690, Feb 16, 2012.

1. JuDGe3690 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm having a bit of a problem. A few days ago, my keyboard's right-side Command and Option keys started giving the same scancode (Option—I was using a cheap Logitech PC keyboard after accidentally frying my Mac Pro keyboard, so I had Command and Option swapped).

Anyway, I tried rebuilding keyboard and system preferences, then replacing the keyboard; nothing changed. I also reset my NVRAM and PRAM, yet the problem persists. I finally had to download KeyRemap4Macbook to remap the context menu key to Option and the Right Option key to Command to regain some semblance of normality.

I just have to wonder, what would cause this to suddenly mess up like this? I'm running a disk permissions repair just to be sure, but I'm not sure it will help. My replacing of the keyboard (with a brand-new one of a different brand) seems to indicate the problem is after the keyboard, i.e. in the USB interface or in the Mac OS software.

Any suggestions? "Get a new Mac" isn't quite an option yet (next summer I should be able to afford it), and as this is my main computer for college use, I'd like to figure it out.

I'm using a 2003 1 GHz G4 eMac with 1 GB RAM running OS X 10.5.8 Leopard. I'm using an Apple Mighty Mouse and a cheap PC keyboard, with a Western Digital My Passport hard drive also plugged into the USB hub. I have no other peripherals aside from ethernet and 1/8" audio in/out. Also, I can't think of any programs I installed right before the key inputs messed up.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a